Project Group Formation

Jump to solution
mmv5239
Community Novice

Hello,

I am trying to place a student into 2 project groups simultaneously, but the system will not allow me.  Is there a way to overcome this default?

Thank you,

Megan

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mmv5239 ...

When you create a Group Set via your "People" page of a course, you then create the Groups within that Group Set that your students will be assigned to.  Once you assign a person to a Group within a given Group Set, they cannot be added to another Group within that Group set.  Think of it like being in a physical classroom with 20 students.  You are having your students work on a Team Project assignment (the Group Set).  They divide up into five groups of four team members each (the Groups).  Since a given student is already in one Group within the Group Set, they cannot simultaneously be in another group (at least not in Canvas) within the same Group Set.

The only work-around I can maybe suggest is to create an additional Group Set with a separate set of Groups...then add the student(s) to the other Groups in that Group Set.  This might get a bit confusing for people, though.

I hope this helps, Megan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes