Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Published and Unpublish option not available in some courses

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are fairly new to Canvas and this morning, we found that some of our courses in Canvas do not show the Publish/Unpublished option in the course and some do. I am not sure why this is happening. Does anyone know why? Any thought?

64783_pastedImage_0.png

Any help you can provide will help us resolve our issue.

Thanks in advance.

Pragna

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

gusanip@macomb.edu​, the key to this can be found at the bottom of this guide - How do I publish my course? - "Note: You can unpublish your course by clicking the Unpublish button in the Course Home Page sidebar. However, once your course contains a graded submission, you can no longer unpublish your course."

Based on this my guess is that the courses that don't have the publish/unpublish option already have graded submissions those that have the option do not have any graded submissions.

Let me know if this helps answer your question!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

gusanip@macomb.edu​, the key to this can be found at the bottom of this guide - How do I publish my course? - "Note: You can unpublish your course by clicking the Unpublish button in the Course Home Page sidebar. However, once your course contains a graded submission, you can no longer unpublish your course."

Based on this my guess is that the courses that don't have the publish/unpublish option already have graded submissions those that have the option do not have any graded submissions.

Let me know if this helps answer your question!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Kona,

Thanks for prompt reply. That makes sense. We are new to Canvas and learning something new everyday Smiley Happy

Pragna

Highlighted
Community Member

I believe it because the entire course has already been published. Once a course has been published and students have participated in the class, it cannot be unpublished. You could go into the course and unpublish individual content as long as students have not submitted work.

Well, I am going to have to type faster in order to get the first reply. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Jim.

Believe me I will post more questions here and I am sure you will get the first reply for some of my questions.Smiley Happy

Pragna

Highlighted
Surveyor

jhoar@careerpointcollege.edu​, is exactly correct about once a course can't be unpublished Instructors still have the ability (via Draft state) to publish and unpublish content and assignments (that students haven't submitted work to). See the following guides for more on this: