cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandy
Community Member

Published page not showing up for students

Yesterday I had a strange issue - a published page was invisible to students. The module was open and other pages were visible. Removing the requirements in the module setting did not allow students to see the page. Removing the page from the module and adding it back did not help. All settings were verified to be similar to other visible pages in the course.

Finally, I copied the HTML for the page, created a duplicate page with pasted HTML code, and published the replacement page. That solved the problem as students were able to view the replacement page. 

Has anyone had a similar issue? What was the resolution? Is there a better/easier way?

Tags (1)
20 Replies
smanis
Community Member

I'm having the exact same issue right now. A page that I published weeks ago (in the module I use for the syllabus) is not visible to my students. We, too, tried checking all the different permissions in edit mode, I tried un-publishing and re-publishing, etc. No avail. I'll try what you did! 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sandy ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

This issue apparently has not been resolved. We are seeing this happen in more courses, not just mine, and time is wasted re-creating pages that should be visible. Please escalate this issue as it continues to occur. 

antonella_calor
Explorer

@RobbieGrant This problem is still there. Two different courses, two different instructors had the same problem. The page was published, in modules (and the module was published!) but students still could not see the page. I did exactly what @SandyPowell did: copied the HTML for the page, created a new page, pasted HTML code,  deleted the 'malfunctioning' page and published the replacement page. That solved the problem as students were able to view the replacement page. The problem remains: do I need to warn all the instructors to switch to student view every time the create and publish a page in order to make sure that students see it?

maria_widmer
Surveyor

I have experienced this issue as well, with the same context and the same solution.   @antonella_calor 

spencert
Community Member

I am experiencing this same issue also. We are going to try the resolution you seemed to have success with to see if we can fix ours too.

So, before we tried to "fix" the issue with ours, our course designer created the page, and it existed, just not in the module. As it turned out, all we had to do is go to the module where the page belonged, added a content page and selected the already built page. It appears to be working and a simple fix which leads me to believe, perhaps my issue is not the same as the one you are having.

dlapetin
Explorer

I can confirm that this is still occurring... content page was visible in module to teacher, but not in Student View or for a student test account. Attempted copying the page and adding it to the module, but still not visible. Only solution that worked was the earlier recommendation to copy the HTML into a new document added to the module, delete the original, then publish. I will add that I, too, had module requirements enabled (as Sandy Powell mentioned in her original post). 

sandy
Community Member

@RobbieGrant This happened again in a different course, and included several content pages. The pages were published and visible to the designer, teacher, and TA's, but students could not see the pages. Student View confirmed that the pages were invisible to students. The only fix was -- again -- to copy the HTML, create a new page, paste the HTML, delete the old page, then rename the new page with the original name.

Students, teachers, and TAs were very frustrated to have the content disappear, and designer time was wasted figuring out what happened and fixing each and every page. What needs to happen to escalate this issue on Canvas' side?

Hi, Sandy - I expect that the next step to escalate the issue would be to "Report a Problem" from within Canvas to open a support ticket. (You can probably link to this page in your request so they can see the steps being taken to work around the issue). This way you'll have a support ticket that can be tracked.