cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Pushing Announcements to Social Media

Jump to solution

Is there an option to push an announcement to a social media network?  For instance, I kept a daily blog in Schoology.  Before I clicked submit, there was a checkbox for Twitter and Facebook.  If I clicked these, the blog post would also be posted on my Twitter and Facebook accounts.  Yes, I had to link my other accounts to Schoology, but it was a great feature to reach more parents.

With just the option of posting announcements, it does not reach as many people as it would if they were connected through social media.  Please let me know if there is a way or if this option is coming!

Canvas Suggestion.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructure
Instructure

Hi David, I don't think this is on Product's radar at the moment, so I recommend that this become a Canvas Feature Idea.

But I'm glad you asked this, because it gives me a chance to suggest a workaround using my favorite social media swiss army knife, If This Then That (IFTTT).

See, Canvas Announcements produce an RSS feed (as do Discussions and Activity Streams), and RSS is still a widely used and loved language for sharing news on the web.

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 12.15.01 PM.png

Clicking on the RSS feed button in your course's Announcements area will give you a page with a lot of funny looking, marked up text. Just grab the URL of that page and copy it. That's your RSS (technically an Atom) feed.

Then, you can create an IFTTT recipe to turn any new RSS feed entries into Twitter posts. You can create a custom recipe, or you can use ready-made recipes like this one as a template.

I just made my own from the IFTTT Feed + Twitter channels, and it worked like a charm:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.18.50 PM.png

First, in IFTTT, I choose RSS Feed for "If This..." and add the RSS feed from Canvas. In this case, I'm looking for Announcements with the keyword #twitter only:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.08.43 PM.png

Second, I decide what I want to go into Twitter (here I've chosen a DM to myself rather than a public post, for safer testing):

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.08.17 PM.png

Now that I'm set-up, I just create Announcements with my keyword text somewhere inside:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.09.44 PM.png

And IFTTT does the rest on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.10.24 PM.png

There are other services that do similar things; Twitterfeed is dedicated just to this purpose, for example. And Twitterfeed does include a keyword filter, so you could likely use something like "--private" somewhere in your Announcement post to keep it out of Twitter.

That said, I love sharing the magic of IFTTT because it's so versatile; once you get started, there's no end to the things you can automate. For example, IFTTT supports Facebook recipes, too.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Instructure
Instructure

Hi David, I don't think this is on Product's radar at the moment, so I recommend that this become a Canvas Feature Idea.

But I'm glad you asked this, because it gives me a chance to suggest a workaround using my favorite social media swiss army knife, If This Then That (IFTTT).

See, Canvas Announcements produce an RSS feed (as do Discussions and Activity Streams), and RSS is still a widely used and loved language for sharing news on the web.

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 12.15.01 PM.png

Clicking on the RSS feed button in your course's Announcements area will give you a page with a lot of funny looking, marked up text. Just grab the URL of that page and copy it. That's your RSS (technically an Atom) feed.

Then, you can create an IFTTT recipe to turn any new RSS feed entries into Twitter posts. You can create a custom recipe, or you can use ready-made recipes like this one as a template.

I just made my own from the IFTTT Feed + Twitter channels, and it worked like a charm:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.18.50 PM.png

First, in IFTTT, I choose RSS Feed for "If This..." and add the RSS feed from Canvas. In this case, I'm looking for Announcements with the keyword #twitter only:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.08.43 PM.png

Second, I decide what I want to go into Twitter (here I've chosen a DM to myself rather than a public post, for safer testing):

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.08.17 PM.png

Now that I'm set-up, I just create Announcements with my keyword text somewhere inside:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.09.44 PM.png

And IFTTT does the rest on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.10.24 PM.png

There are other services that do similar things; Twitterfeed is dedicated just to this purpose, for example. And Twitterfeed does include a keyword filter, so you could likely use something like "--private" somewhere in your Announcement post to keep it out of Twitter.

That said, I love sharing the magic of IFTTT because it's so versatile; once you get started, there's no end to the things you can automate. For example, IFTTT supports Facebook recipes, too.

View solution in original post