cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westke
Surveyor

Question banks with multiple questions per stimulus

Please help:

I would like to efficiently make some practice quizzes using imported question banks, but here are my challenges-

• I have question banks of multiple choice questions, with each question connected to a stimulus (a written excerpt, an image, a chart, etc.).  Each stimulus has 3-6 questions that correlate to it.
  • I would like to make some quizzes of 8-12 questions for my students, but using only 2-3 stimulus.  I don't want them to have to read 10 different stimulus to complete a 10 question quiz. 
  • I would like randomly pull questions, so students can take the same quiz a couple of times without seeing the exact same questions repeatedly. 
  • I would like all the questions about the same stimulus to be together in the quiz.  For example, questions 1-3 would be about the same document, questions 4-8 would be about the same chart, etc.

Best solution I can come up with is the following:

1. Make a question bank in Canvas of 3-6 questions, all with the same stimulus
  2. Make a second question bank in Canvas of 3-6 questions from a shared stimulus, but different than the questions and stimulus from the first bank.
  3. Make a practice quiz
  4. Create a question group that pulls 4 questions from the first question bank.
  5. Create a second question group that pulls 4 questions from the second question bank.

As you can see, this really wouldn't provide much question variety, and I would have to make multiple quizzes to utilize all of my available questions.  If you know of a better way to get this done, please respond.  Please and thank you!

quiz‌

#create question banks

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @westke and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I am going to share this question with the Quizzes.Next User Group in hope someone has found a better way.  I personally don't know of a method around separate banks because there isn't a way for the system to differentiate questions in a bank (know that some are related to one stimulus and some the other).  However, I found this question Pull Certain Number of Questions from a Bank where Cody from Instructor suggested that you can edit the setting for a question bank to select a portion rather than the entire question bank.  While the link in that thread doesn't work for me, this does How do I add all items or a random set from an item bank to an assessment in Quizzes.Next? 

Might this help?  I wasn't sure if you are utilizing the feature that allows only a portion of the questions from a bank to be selected meaning that on different attempts students could receive different questions.  If I understand what you are trying to accomplish, it may still take 3 question banks per quiz (one for each stimulus question and one for the non-stimulus questions). 

If I misunderstood, please let us know!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@westke ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I don't think this question has been answered because I don't think there is a way to do it. I am also looking for a way to do the same thing. I did find this idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Attached-questions-stay-fixed-to-stimulus-in-i... which seems to imply this behavior isn't currently possible.