cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbarry13
Community Member

Quiz: Fill in Multiple Blanks

Jump to solution

I have a quiz question that requires students to fill in multiple blanks.  There are 4 correct answers, however, the answers can be filled into any of the blanks.  Is there a way to set the question so that all blanks have same set of possible answers, but no two blanks have the same answer?

For example:

Name 4 different types of fruit based on data...

1.  [BLANK 1]

2.  [BLANK 2]

3.  [BLANK 3]

4.  [BLANK 4]

For [BLANK 1, 2, 3, 4] possible answers are....

apple, banana, grapes, or blueberry

HOWEVER, if [BLANK 1] = apple, then [Blank 2] cannot = apple

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator

Not with Multiple Fill in the Blanks. The answers to the blanks are independent of each other. So you can create the same responses for each, but you can't make sure they're not repeated.

To get the dependence upon answers, you need a matching question: How do I create a Matching quiz question?  but it provides the responses instead of requiring students to type them.

You can use an essay question and then manually grade it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
James
Navigator

Not with Multiple Fill in the Blanks. The answers to the blanks are independent of each other. So you can create the same responses for each, but you can't make sure they're not repeated.

To get the dependence upon answers, you need a matching question: How do I create a Matching quiz question?  but it provides the responses instead of requiring students to type them.

You can use an essay question and then manually grade it.

View solution in original post

This is not a great solution. When will this feature be implemented, there are many more of us who need it.

Steve_Watts
Adventurer

Hi sbarry13

As  @James  said, it's not possible with a Multiple Blank question. This is one of my main sources of frustration with the quiz tool. It was possible in our previous VLE (WebCT Vista, which has since become Blackboard) but not in Canvas due to the method Canvas uses to mark the question. Here is an example of a multiple blank question that I use when demonstrating quizzes to our users:

The two main songwriters in the Beatles were [X] and [Y].

The answers are Paul McCartney and John Lennon, and I will accept them in any order. In our previous VLE, the marking process seemed to work like this: the quiz tool would look at the student's response and search for the answer Paul McCartney, giving only 1 point if it was found, regardless of how many times. Then it would search for John Lennon, again giving 1 point if it was found anywhere.

But Canvas seems to mark the question by looking at box X first and giving 1 point if any of the accepted answers are there, then looking at box Y and again giving a point if any of the accepted answers are there. So entering Paul McCartney twice gets you 2 points.

Instructure have been talking for some time about Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine. It mentions more question types but doesn't specifically mention multiple blanks, so you could add a comment to the bottom of the document asking if there are any changes planned that would solve your problem. You might also consider submitting a feature idea; I had a quick look through the ideas currently open for voting but couldn't find one about fill in the blank questions.

ddiskin
Community Member

Although not ideal, you could reword your question so that the answers are provided alphabetically.

Name four different fruits based on data ...  

Your responses must be listed in alphabetical order.

Then:

• [Blank 1] = Apple
  • [Blank 2] = Banana
  • [Blank 3] = Eggplant
  • [Blank 4] = Grape

You could manually review the students' responses using SpeedGrader and fix any students that answered correctly without being alphabetical.

hrm24
Community Member

Wouldn't this backfire if students chose an answer (or missed an answer) that threw off the alphabetical order?  Playing off the example above, suppose a student answers:

• [Blank 1]=Banana
  • [Blank 2]=Eggplant
  • [Blank 3]=Grape
  • [Blank 4]=Melon

In this case, the student won't get any credit for the 3 answers he got right, because they are not in their correct slots.

I completely agree with you. It is so frustrating how this feature was available in the old quiz maker but is no longer in the new one.