cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quiz Log Retention

Jump to solution

Anyone have an idea how long quiz logs stick around for? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere in the Community (but maybe I just missed it). I'm noticing that logs from Spring 2015 aren't appearing for us anymore - wondering if it's ~a year.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I got this update from support last night and it seems to be the definitive answer:

Our Engineering team has reported back and we maintain access to the quiz logs for 6 months prior to the current month, which means at this time there would be no available quiz logs prior to January 2016. We have created a engineering ticket to make this more apparent on the Quiz Log screen, stating that the time has passed instead of there not being any records. I am attaching this case to that engineering ticket so that you will be made aware when we have implemented that change. However, at this time these logs are no longer accessible.

I followed up asking if they would also make sure the How do I view a quiz log for a student?​ guide would also get updated with this information and he said that they have put in a request for it to get updated as well.

Not sure how happy I am with this... In general we only use this for grade appeals, potential cheating issues, and if a student claimed they had a problem while taking a quiz, all of which would normally be done at some point in that six month window. Yet, there have been times when we've had to go way back to check on things and having the quiz logs would be helpful. Regardless, at least we know the correct answer and it's going to get updated on the guides.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

emihunt@iu.edu​, I thought they would stay around indefinitely, but I just checked a few of my previous courses and I can only get the log to show up for my Spring 2016 courses. Anything earlier than that shows the quiz log, but when I click on it nothing comes up. My recommendation is to contact Canvas Support (Help --> Report a Problem) and see if they can help figure out the problem.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks, Kona. Wanted to try here before I went to support - figured with other logs having a time limit these might as well. I'll send a case up.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm submitting a ticket as well and will let you know what I find out!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hey Kona - I heard back:

I am sorry to hear that you were unable to view the quiz logs backdated from 2014 and 2015.

I can confirm that you are only able to see the quiz logs up to 30 days. I am terribly sorry but we will not be able to view these logs from 1-2 years ago.

If you have any further issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. I look forward to hearing from you!

Oddly enough I do actually have a log that's loading from Jan 29 2016 so to me it's not looking like 30 days is the cutoff. Updated the case, will see what comes out of it.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hmmm... That's interesting... I submitted a ticket as well and didn't get that response. Last I heard they were escalating it and going to look further into it. And yes, I know the 30 day thing isn't true because the course I checked was from Spring 2016 and the quiz was done in late January/early February.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I got this update from support last night and it seems to be the definitive answer:

Our Engineering team has reported back and we maintain access to the quiz logs for 6 months prior to the current month, which means at this time there would be no available quiz logs prior to January 2016. We have created a engineering ticket to make this more apparent on the Quiz Log screen, stating that the time has passed instead of there not being any records. I am attaching this case to that engineering ticket so that you will be made aware when we have implemented that change. However, at this time these logs are no longer accessible.

I followed up asking if they would also make sure the How do I view a quiz log for a student?​ guide would also get updated with this information and he said that they have put in a request for it to get updated as well.

Not sure how happy I am with this... In general we only use this for grade appeals, potential cheating issues, and if a student claimed they had a problem while taking a quiz, all of which would normally be done at some point in that six month window. Yet, there have been times when we've had to go way back to check on things and having the quiz logs would be helpful. Regardless, at least we know the correct answer and it's going to get updated on the guides.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

I'm not too satisfied with the 6 month window. For example, there was a case when a student returned three years after a class ended to tell his professor that he cheated. Does this mean that the Canvas quiz grades cannot be edited at all after 6 months?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

tdarrow@masters.edu​, quiz logs having nothing to do with students grades - which can be changed at any time. Quiz logs show what students were doing when they were taking the quiz - long long they took on each question, if they potentially stopped taking the quiz and went to a new window, etc. Check out this document for more information - How do I view a quiz log for a student?

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Kona for the update! I'm happy to hear that the quiz log archive does not affect grade change. Thanks for helping me learn my way around Canvas Smiley Wink.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels