cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pniemeyer
Community Member

Quiz Question Names

When I created a quiz and gave the questions names, I can see those names in "edit" mode. 

293125_Untitled.jpeg

But when I look at a preview often question, or look at it in student mode, the name of the question is generically "Question."

293138_Untitled 2.jpeg

Any ideas why/how to fix. I found one thread that addressed a similar issue, but the solution was a fix that supposedly went into effect in 2016.  

Tags (1)
10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @pniemeyer  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your message.  It looks like you're working in the current "legacy" version of Quizzes.  I don't believe there is a way to display your custom question titles on the student side.  I am basing this on what it says in the following Guide: How do I create a Multiple Choice quiz question?  [See the section on "Set Name, Type, and Points" where it says, "Custom names can help you identify quiz questions more easily. Regardless of the question name, students always see quiz questions in numerical order (i.e. Question 1, Question 2)."]

I mentioned that you were using the "legacy" version of Quizzes.  I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but Canvas has a brand new quizzing engine called Quizzes.Next that was recently released.  It doesn't have complete feature parity right now (meaning some things are in Quizzes.Next that aren't in "legacy" and vice versa).  Unfortunately, in my own testing, the question titles in Quizzes.Next questions also do not show for students.  This is confirmed in the following Guide: How do I create a Multiple Choice question in Quizzes.Next?  (See the section on "Add Question Title and Stem".)

If you would like to see this kind of thing implemented in Canvas, I would recommend that you submit a Feature Idea so that people can comment and vote on it.  However, please make sure to search first before submitting a new idea in the event that an idea already exists (to avoid duplicate and dilution of votes).  Here's some documents to get you started:

How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?  

How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14905-75187841185 

Sorry that this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, Peter, but I hope that I've given you some resources that will be of help.

deanhougen
Surveyor

I had this question too. It is pretty unintuitive to have a feature like providing a custom name for a question, yet preventing it from being of use to 99% of the people who could benefit from it (the students).

I do appreciate Chris sharing his answer though.

rislis
Adventurer III

I have this problem, too. Seems silly that kids can't see that.

rislis
Adventurer III

I did add it as a feature option, if you want to vote and share with other colleagues.

Question Titles

mari_liljefors
Surveyor II

Hi, I was just wondering the same problem.  I have renamed the question to "Task 1, 2 ..." and it shows in the edit mode but it never shows in the preview, nor student's mode.  I thought it is a bug.  I hope it would be fixed soon.

Hello  @mari_liljefors ...

It's not a bug, and I don't believe it will be fixed soon.  The screen shots that are shown above in  @pniemeyer 's example are from the legacy version of Quizzes.  Instructure (the company that makes Canvas) is not doing any more development work on this version of Quizzes.  I believe that New Quizzes (formerly Quizzes.Next) might have the capability, though.  Here's an example of creating a multiple choice question: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15070-4152780604 

I hope this helps, Mari.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your kind support. Actually I have been using quizzes quite a lot. I do not know which version of Quizzes I am using, but I had the same situation. I tried to rename the question as "Task 1" and it shows as it is in the edit mode but neither of preview nor student's view it comes up just as "Question 1." I would appreciate if you can help me if I can change the view as I want (Task 1, 2...).

best regards,

Mari

@mari_liljefors ...

I can tell from the screen shots you've included in your reply that you are using the legacy version of Quizzes and not New Quizzes (formerly Quizzes.Next).  Since you're using the legacy version of Quizzes, you will not be able to display those custom titles for students.  You'll need to include those titles in the body of the quiz question if you really want them to see those titles.  As I stated yesterday, there won't be any more work done on legacy Quizzes because that interface is eventually going to be phased out.  Check out the timeline in this group: New Quizzes User Group.

There are ways that you can easily tell which version of Quizzes you are using...

• New Quizzes can only be created via your "Assignments" page.  They cannot be created via your "Quizzes".  New Quizzes may not be turned on for you at your school.  You would need to speak with your school's local Canvas administrator to see if it is or not...or if they have any plans to turn it on for you and your fellow colleagues.
  • New Quizzes has a completely different interface...as described in these two video tutorials:
    •  
    •  
  • Here are examples of what an essay question looks like in both versions (I'm assuming you are using essay type questions based on the screen shots you've included):

I hope this information will be of help to you, Mari.

Dear Chris,

You are very helpful.  Thank you very much.  I did not know that the older version of quizzes are called legacy version. I have also used the New Quizzes, but since I have created quite a lot of Question banks on the legacy version, I have not really started to use the New Quizzes.  I also found some kind of strange thing in New Quizzes - when I created multiple choice but only two answers "Yes/No" - the system added 3rd and 4th answer alternatives without anything, so I had to change it to "True/faulse" choice question, although it should be answered as "Yes/No".  It made me wait for using the New Quizzes.  Now my question is if the New Quizzes supports to import Quiz bank from the legacy version.  I could not find it in the Community Q&A...  Should I post this question separately??

Thank you very much for your kind support!