cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aahawk
Community Member

Quiz Statistics

Jump to solution

I am trying to look at my quiz statistics and this is the screen that I am getting.  Can someone help?

Even awesomeness has limits. We can't render statistics for this quiz, but you can download the reports.

[Note from Community Team: We have deleted the remainder of this post, as it previously provided download links that would have allowed anyone to access students' private information, including grades.]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@aahawk , similar to what the error message is saying, Canvas can't display the statistics for this quiz. My guess is that it relates to the following information found on the quiz statistics guide:

For optimum course performance in the Canvas interface, quiz statistics will only generate for quizzes with 100 or fewer unique questions or 1000 total attempts. For instance, a quiz with 200 questions will not generate quiz statistics. However, a quiz with 75 questions will generate quiz statistics until the quiz has reached 1000 attempts. Results greater than these maximum values can be viewed by downloading the Student Analysis report and viewing the CSV file. - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13037-415241484 

Do you think your quiz might fall into one of these cases (more than 100 unique questions or more than 1000 total attempts? 

Kona

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@aahawk , similar to what the error message is saying, Canvas can't display the statistics for this quiz. My guess is that it relates to the following information found on the quiz statistics guide:

For optimum course performance in the Canvas interface, quiz statistics will only generate for quizzes with 100 or fewer unique questions or 1000 total attempts. For instance, a quiz with 200 questions will not generate quiz statistics. However, a quiz with 75 questions will generate quiz statistics until the quiz has reached 1000 attempts. Results greater than these maximum values can be viewed by downloading the Student Analysis report and viewing the CSV file. - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13037-415241484 

Do you think your quiz might fall into one of these cases (more than 100 unique questions or more than 1000 total attempts? 

Kona

View solution in original post

aahawk
Community Member

It was 100 points with 21 people attempting it. So I Guess that would cause it? Thanks Alicia

I just discovered your thread here because we ran into this and weren't aware of the 100+ question limit on stats. Thanks for the info.

As a side note, there are 2 other things concerning here...Alicia, when you copy and pasted the message above from Canvas, it also pasted the buttons for downloading the student and item analysis reports. Did you know those can be download by anyone? I was able to download them, and view the student names, SIS ID's, scores, etc. (FERPA!). I would recommend editing this post and removing those buttons from your original question.

But more importantly, why are those files not behind authentication?! I thought surely Canvas would require authentication to view those, but apparently it does not. This is very concerning. Is it because the URL includes a verifier?

akerr1
Surveyor

I got this error message in response to a quiz with only 80 questions. But the quiz did have some other elements, such as text headers between question groups, so maybe that pushed it over the limit. How annoying! There's no reason why Canvas couldn't generate reports for 100-question quizzes. Computationally, it's not that difficult. With the pandemic-induced rise of all-online instruction, it's become increasingly necessary to administer online exams (with large groups of randomly selected questions) as a significant fraction of students' grades, and the students naturally want to be debriefed at the end - they know which questions were more and less difficult, and whether other students tended to get the same wrong answers as they did. They've been glad to see PDF versions of my instructor item analysis for previous quizzes, but now I can't share a confusing 100-row Excel spreadsheet with them! Sigh.

fmccown
Surveyor II

I think a more descriptive error message would help. Example: "Sorry, your quiz has X questions, and quiz statistics are limited to Y questions."