cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quiz and Exam Import

Jump to solution

I have many resources for quizzes and exams and would like to import them into Canvas. Most are currently in Word.

The import function calls for documents consistent with the IMS QTI format.

What is the most time efficient way to import pre-existing quizzes into Canvas?

Is the a tool to convert from Word to IMS QTU format?

Tags (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

One option available for you, if you have the software, is Respondus.  in short, you design your files (Word docs, text files, RTFs) following a certain format, and then you upload that file into Respondus.  Then, within the Respondus software, you connect that to Canvas to import the questions into your course.  Basically, you are batch-uploading your quiz questions into Canvas so that you don't have to create each question one at a time.  Here is a website with more information on the product: Respondus 4.0: Exam Authoring Tool

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

One option available for you, if you have the software, is Respondus.  in short, you design your files (Word docs, text files, RTFs) following a certain format, and then you upload that file into Respondus.  Then, within the Respondus software, you connect that to Canvas to import the questions into your course.  Basically, you are batch-uploading your quiz questions into Canvas so that you don't have to create each question one at a time.  Here is a website with more information on the product: Respondus 4.0: Exam Authoring Tool

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I would love to have access to Respondus however, we currently do not. Is there some directions on how to create QTI files without having to use Respondus?

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

gary.molloy@staloysius.nsw.edu.au​, chofer@morainepark.edu​ has nailed it: Respondus 4.0 is the way to go. Since Respondus has a Canvas (Instructure) personality, the process of importing converted Word files into Canvas is a breeze. You could check with your school to see if they already have a shared license; many schools do, and will make the download instructions and license key available to all of its faculty members. If not, Respondus does offer a free 30-day trial of their software: Download Respondus 4.0 

Highlighted

Hi:

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but just in case..........Respondus is what I was sort of looking for, and I do plan to contact them Tuesday with my question but ideally someone here can answer it before then.........

I can't publish directly to my canvas server so want to save a file and upload it to canvas. But what format do I need to save it in to upload it into canvas? Its not clear from the Respondus documentation.

Thanks!

Highlighted

I found the answer......I read the Respondus documentation and..........it didn't help.

So I googled and one can change the format in Respondus from canvas to QTI, then save as a QTI zip file.

This file is then easily imported into Canvas.

Highlighted

Hi mparzen@fas.harvard.edu​...

I'm not sure if you have seen one of my blog entries, but you might want to have a look at this: Batch Uploading Quiz Questions with Respondus.  It may give you some ideas on the file types I generally use when formatting files for use inside of Respondus. I believe it also accepts Excel files, but I've never tried as I find using *.txt or *.rtf files much easier.  Hope this is helpful to you!

Highlighted
Community Member

Respondus is only for Windows. Do you know a test generator like Repondous for Mac?

Highlighted
Community Member

And for those of us without access to respondus what about a batch upload from a CSV file, for example? It seems very odd not to support simple batch upload for quiz questions.

Highlighted

leslie.dow@southmountaincc.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community! Since you're new here, I want to make sure you're aware of Canvas's massive quiz refactor project that's currently underway, https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/quizzesnext?sr=search&searchId=b53db8b0-b0ef-49a1-aa.... I recommend that you follow that project to your inbox to stay up to date on its progress through the development cycle, as the ability to import quiz questions from an external file may well be included as a feature.

In the meantime, Respondus 4.0 offers a free trial. Many teachers find that the trial period suffices for their purposes.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels