cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quiz images not displaying

I created a quiz for the students.  About 2/3 of the class can take the quiz with no issues.  The rest of the class is not getting the images displayed, only a blurry padlock.  The settings on all the computers are the same, and the quiz is set up correctly I assume since most of the class has no issues.  What is the problem?  I am using this one for a review for tomorrow's test which I also set up in the LMS so I'm kind of nervous that it won't work either.

Tags (2)
19 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi ballen@sd308.org​ - A blurry padlock is typically a sign of a file that is "locked" from view due to access rights in your FILES area.  You may want to take a look at this thread:  Images on home page - locked in student view? Even though the subject line indicates it's about the Home page, it would be a similar issue and a similar solution.  Make sure you check your FILES area and look for that image and make sure that it is published.

What is unusual in this case is that you said 2/3 of your students did not have an issue.  I'm wondering if at some point maybe you combined multiple sections of a class together or if something else is at play.  If you know HTML at all, checking the HTML view of that question might help to see where it's taking that image from.

Highlighted
Community Member

To add to what kblack@dom.edu​ said - what do the 2/3rds have in common, that the 1/3 don't?  I'd check not only sections, but if those 2/3rds were in a previous course together.  It's possible the image is actually hosted in a different course, where those 2/3rds have access and the others weren't enrolled.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ballen@sd308.org,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Learner II

In case it helps...

Some may want to copy/paste the following information into their official Support Request (or reply to the response they received from Canvas Support)? Others have reported receiving generic type responses (clear cache, try a different computer...), which leads me to believe that Canvas may not yet be fully aware of the scope of this problem.

Here are some of the recent case numbers that others have posted to the Canvas Community about image related problems: #02672254, #02675969, #02687703. #02667582, #02676804, #02688690, #02690931, #02696853. In case it helps the engineers, here are just some of the links to other conversations about this issue:

I will post this to some of these other conversations as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Kimberly,
I checked with Support this AM and we are aware of this ongoing issue. Our technicians have been able to duplicate and document the cache issue. It has been escalated to the highest level in Support and our engineers are working on solving it now. The best thing you can do is update your tickets with any new information you uncover and if you believe you have a ticket that was marked resolved before we discovered that clearing cache did not permanently fix the issue, please update them to that effect.

Highlighted
Learner II

Hello Community...

I received the following update to my case #02672254... "engineers have deployed a temporary fix for this issue, which should allow images to show correctly for you in Canvas until a more permanent fix is in place." This issue did appear to be resolved when viewing my course as an instructor. 

However...

Joel Brown posted the following today at https://community.canvaslms.com/message/91785-re-images-embedded-in-pages-disappearreappear-at-rando... 

"I've had a few conversations with support regarding this issue. My most recent case: 02688342 was a little different to my previous ones. All images displayed correctly for me and when viewing the page as admin and also under 'student view' however when I log in as an enrolled student, the images did not display. I tested this on various computers in the office, chrome, FF, IE, clear cache etc without any resolution. It still only happened when logged in as an enrolled student."

So, I just wanted to pass along the 'heads-up'. Since I do not have 'admin' status (cannot 'masquerade' as a student  - only have the 'student view'), I will be calling call my institution's Canvas Help Desk first thing tomorrow when they open - to find out what they see when logged in as an enrolled student in my course. Other 'non-admins' may want to do the same?, and perhaps update their cases with Canvas engineers accordingly?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

A quick update...

I inquired (via my ticket email) as to the embedded images for 'enrolled student' an received the following response:

Thank you for your reply to Canvas Support. I have checked on our tracker and our team is still working on this behavior and trying to correct it. At this time I don't have an ETA on when this will be resolved, but when our team does resolve this we will update you through your email and this ticket. If you would like us to check through your student's view in Canvas at some of the affected pages, could you share us links to those pages? If you have any further questions for Canvas Support, please let us know. We're happy to help where we can.

L1 Support
support@instructure.com

ref:_00DA0Ibsk._500A0ZCw5V:ref

So, I guess this issue is not fixed Smiley Sad. If anyone has better news, I would really love to hear from you. My students will be getting loaded into my courses in less than two days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

A final (?) update..

Students have now been loaded into my courses and, after speaking with the Canvas Help Desk at my local institution, it appears that 'enrolled students' are able to view embedded images. Yay! So, perhaps the disappearing images from 'enrolled student' view (mentioned above) is separate from the one that engineers have been working on. If anything changes (as students begin accessing pages and assignments), I will follow-up. If you are experiencing something different, please keep us posted.

Many thanks to everyone who participated in helping bring the urgent 'diappearing images' problem to the attention of Canvas engineers (submitting problem reports and shaing case numbers with the community)! 

Highlighted
Community Member

For the past two weeks 30-40% of my students taking a quiz with images could not see the images UNLESS I replaced each image in each question with its newly re-uploaded twin -- a time-intensive task that I resent, along with the time spent setting up means for upset students to make up questions they couldn't answer from blank images.  These questions, with their embedded images, are usually in Question Banks and worked fine one year ago in Canvas after being imported successfully from Blackboard.  Various question and discussion threads indicate this problem has been ongoing since at least January 2018.  Even if a remedy is forthcoming(?), how long will it be before some other aspect of this software becomes unreliable?

Labels