cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjesse
Surveyor

Quiz retake options

Jump to solution

if you have given the quiz and let some of them take the quiz a second time....  is it still possible to set it to average the grades....   i've tried to go in the options and change the option to multiple attempts and average but it keeps reverting back to no multiple attempt option????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you create a quiz from scratch, allow multiple attempts, and then enter the number of attempts, you can activate the setting to average the attempts. All of this would be before any students have taken the quiz. However, I've never made those changes retroactively,  @bjesse ‌, so I can't say whether this will work after some students have taken the quiz; I suspect it will not, but cannot say for sure. Perhaps someone else reading this thread has hands-on experience with this.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@bjesse , the only way you can set the actual quiz to average scores is to (1) set multiple attempts and (2) put a number in the multiple attempts field. From what you described, it sounds like you're not doing (2), and that's why the settings aren't saving. But of course, you can't put a number in the field, because you only want certain students to get extra attempts, not all students. If you're doing that through the Moderate This Quiz feature, Canvas will only recognize their most recent attempt, if the quiz itself is set to a single attempt.

if i put in mutliple attempts for everyone should it allow me to average

then?

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

If you create a quiz from scratch, allow multiple attempts, and then enter the number of attempts, you can activate the setting to average the attempts. All of this would be before any students have taken the quiz. However, I've never made those changes retroactively,  @bjesse ‌, so I can't say whether this will work after some students have taken the quiz; I suspect it will not, but cannot say for sure. Perhaps someone else reading this thread has hands-on experience with this.

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Member

@bjesse ‌ - I can only confirm what stefaniesanders‌ has already indicated.  While admittedly I can't say that I have "hands-on experience" with this, I just now ran a quiz in a sample class where three students completed the quiz.  After they completed it, I went in and edited the options, as shown below in this screen capture:

220316_multiple attempts.jpg

As Stefanie already pointed out, be certain that you have both enabled the checkbox for Allowed Attempts as well as set a specific number there, as the arrow points to.  Once I did that, two of the students went back in, re-took the quiz, and indeed Canvas correctly calculated the average score based on both attempts. 

Now, I have to say that I imagine based on the wording of your question that we are working under the assumption that you allowed the extra attempts using the above method and not by using the Moderate This Quiz button, which might add another layer to this, though even if you used that method it would still allow those Options to be edited.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @bjesse ‌ -- It's been about six weeks since we've heard from you. How are the quizzes going? Are you still experiencing the issue with the allowed attempts? Let us know how things are going. If stefaniesanders's or  @kblack 's suggestions helped, please mark one correct. If you found a solution another way, the Community would love to know!

Hello  @bjesse ‌...

I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while, so I thought that I would check in with you.  It looks as though  @klundstrum ‌ had tried to check in with you around the middle of April.  Because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for quite a while and because we've not heard from you, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" in hopes that you've been able to find an answer.  However, as Kristin has indicated, please let us know how things are going and mark an above response as "Correct" if you feel it has answered your question.  Marking your question as "Assumed Answered" won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below, however.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Brian!

answered

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 6:33 PM, chofer@morainepark.edu <

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @bjesse ‌...

Could you please clarify?  Which of the above responses helped to answer your question?  Please mark one of those as "Correct".  Or, if you found an answer on our own, would you be willing to share here?  Thanks, in advance.