cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quizzes.Next: Question Banks & Question Groups

I have a couple of issues with Quizzes.Next. 

A) Say, I have question banks and I made a Quiz taking questions from that question Banks. Then I migrated the Quiz to Quizzes.Next. 

My Issues: 

1. I can see the quiz in Quizzes.Next but I can’t see the question bank.
  2. The bank is not migrated.

B) A quiz is built by randomly taking questions from Question Groups. Then it is migrated to Quizzes.Next.

My Issues: 

1. Migrated Quizzes.Next does not show anything.
  2. I does not show the quiz itself; not a single questions even.
  3. It does not migrate the groups even.
  4. It is name them wrong like Group 1, Group 2,….; not original names of the Groups like ‘Female Anatomy’, ‘Gender’ etc.
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mmorshed2@unl.edu and welcome to the Canvas Community.

Question banks in the classic quiz engine cannot be directly migrated to Quizzes.Next (see Question Bank Migration).  In a post a few months ago, Transfer from old Question Banks to new ITEM banks?!?, I did discuss how you can accomplish migrating banks, but it involves adding banked questions to a quiz, exporting this, and then importing the questions from that quiz into a new question bank in Quizzes.Next.  You might try this method and see if it works for you.

I believe the second issue you mentioned relates to the migration of banks as well.  You can build a quiz in Quizzes.Next by randomly selecting "x" questions from question banks as question groups, but first the question banks must exist in Quizzes.Next.  This document explains how to add questions from a bank to Quizzes.Next assessments, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15051-4152780616 

Does this information help? 

Highlighted

Thanks for jumping in & making helpful comments. That really helps!!

I have uploaded what I managed to sum up from every one's responses.

293424_Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 2.56.48 PM.png

Problem 1: Having hundreds of questions in multiple banks, it seems like instructors will not have enough time to do that every time.

Problem 2: If bank does not migrate with quizzes, I believe that it will be difficult for instructors to find out every time how many questions from which bank.

In my understanding, it will be messy for instructors to use Quizzes.Next if Item Banks are not migrated with the Quiz migration. Because they utilize question banks a lot in preparing quizzes. 

Do anybody know if Canvas is going to fix this??  

Highlighted

ericwerth's suggestions are very helpful and they do work. However, Canvas really needs to address this issue so that there's an easier way of doing it in bulk. In terms of cost-benefit ratio, Quizzes.Next has done a little bit to create better assessments and a lot to create extra work.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

mmorshed2@unl.edu‌,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Surveyor

I'm having the same exact issue.  What an abysmal job creating a dead end that completely undermines the migration to quizzes.next.  Ridiculous "work-around."  As we expected, Canvas sure sold themselves well, and the product continues to add bells and whistles while not taking care of the core uses instructors have--like importing banks from old to new formats.