cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quizzes.Next lagging on the Essay questions

Jump to solution

Since we came back in January, my short answer response boxes on Quizzes.Next have been lagging for my students.  At first only a few came and said anything to me, so I assumed it was their computer/phone/wifi.  But everyone is saying they are having this issue, even on our school computers with fully functioning wifi.  The kids type their answer and it takes a while for words to appear in the box, if at all.  It is very frustrating for my students and me, and again I have been using this platform for my weekly vocab assignments all school year and it has only started doing it since our return from Christmas break.  Is this happening to anyone else?  Is there a fix?  Help please.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi sara_spencer@scps.k12.fl.us.  I just checked in my sandbox with essay questions and fake students and I didn't notice any lag between when I type and when the text appears.  I am using a PC and Chrome for testing, and am not sure that the settings of your quiz match mine.  If you have not already done so I would suggest contacting Canvas Support to see if they can provide insight into what may be causing the issue you noted.  I wonder if it could be the devices students are using, the web browser itself, if other programs running on the computers may be causing the delay, etc.?  Hopefully Support could look into this and find a solution.  If you do figure out what is happening, I hope you post it here in case we notice something similar!

All the best---

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi sara_spencer@scps.k12.fl.us.  I just checked in my sandbox with essay questions and fake students and I didn't notice any lag between when I type and when the text appears.  I am using a PC and Chrome for testing, and am not sure that the settings of your quiz match mine.  If you have not already done so I would suggest contacting Canvas Support to see if they can provide insight into what may be causing the issue you noted.  I wonder if it could be the devices students are using, the web browser itself, if other programs running on the computers may be causing the delay, etc.?  Hopefully Support could look into this and find a solution.  If you do figure out what is happening, I hope you post it here in case we notice something similar!

All the best---

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Sara, did you find a solution to this.  I have 1 instructor and his student's reporting this same issue.  They said it happened in February and again in May, but it was on the same quiz just different semesters.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I never got a solution. It kept doing it on every quiz, on any browser, and even in the app. I just had to tell my students to have patience.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note8.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Just had to use New Quizzes for an exam due to Covid-19 and ALL my students had problems with bad lagging in typing during essay questions.  The took an exam for another class using the old quizzes and had no issues.  I like a lot of the features in new quizzes, but am going to have to suffer with the old quiz format for the final because of this lagging.  It was so bad many students ran out of time because it took so long.  I could see the time it took in the log of each student.

0 Kudos