cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quizzes getting submitted with pressing 'submit'

Jump to solution

I am using the 'quizzes' section to assign homework and was hoping that students could view the quiz, close it, and come back to it.  From what students are saying, it sounds like the quiz is getting submitted without them pressing the 'submit' button.  Are there certain settings I can change in a quiz to make sure it saves their answers and doesn't get submitted until a student presses 'submit'

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

No, it won't help with the issue you're seeing. Setting the available until date would not allow for any submissions after that, so if you don't want late work, that's where to specify it. It might be the due date that makes it submit, I can't remember and I set my due date and available until date the same so I might have those confused.  The Canvas Student Guide say this: How do I take a quiz? 

You can also view the due date for the quiz [3]. In the sidebar, the quiz due date refers to the autosubmit date, which can be a specified Until date or the last day of the course. This is not the due date set for when the quiz will be marked late.

That's a little confusing and possibly misleading. Thankfully, there's an Instructor's Guide How do I make a quiz available before or after the due date?  that says:

Quizzes have an autosubmit feature tied to the Until (lock) date, which may affect student submissions. Common quiz scenarios and date results include the following:

• No dates: quiz is never marked late and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
  • Due date only: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
  • Due date with Until date: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at Until date
  • Time limit: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires (only applies when students are actively taking a quiz)
  • Time limit with Until date: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires unless the Until date expires first

According to that second bullet point, your quizzes should not be autosubmitting.

Your settings aren't good for security and helping reduce cheating, but there's nothing there that would make it automatically submit the answers. See https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3313-quiz-settings-to-maximize-security?sr=search&searchId=...‌ for more information on that.

Since the settings are right, there are other things to look at.

• What browser are the students using? It is specific to one browser, is it only for people using the App? Is it specific to people using mobile devices.
  • What kinds of questions do you have on the quiz? Some question types aren't supported on the mobile apps and kick you into the mobile browser.
  • Are you sure this is what is happening or are you just basing it off what students say? Have you looked at the quiz to see if their submitting it incomplete? Have you looked at the Quiz Log (if enabled) to see what's happening?

If it turns out that it is autosubmitting when it's not supposed to, then be sure to file a trouble ticket with Canvas by going to Help and choosing Report a problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted

Hi jhull@citruscollege.edu‌ -- The first thing that comes to mind is a time limit. With Canvas Quizzes, if you set an allowed amount of time, even if students take a break from the quiz, the timer keeps ticking. At the end of that time, the quiz is automatically submitted. (What options can I set in a quiz?) What are your current settings on the quiz??

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi, thanks for your help. There is no time limit set.  I have a due date set, but it is in 4 days from now.  Here are the settings:

251966_pastedImage_1.png

251967_pastedImage_2.png

Highlighted
Navigator

Another possibility is that quizzes are automatically submitted once the "Available until" date, if set, is reached. That kind of goes along with the running out of time that kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com mentioned, but it's a different item in the quiz setup.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks james@richland.edu!  I don't have an 'available until' date set - I only seta due date.  Do you think setting an 'available until' date would help?

Highlighted
Navigator

No, it won't help with the issue you're seeing. Setting the available until date would not allow for any submissions after that, so if you don't want late work, that's where to specify it. It might be the due date that makes it submit, I can't remember and I set my due date and available until date the same so I might have those confused.  The Canvas Student Guide say this: How do I take a quiz? 

You can also view the due date for the quiz [3]. In the sidebar, the quiz due date refers to the autosubmit date, which can be a specified Until date or the last day of the course. This is not the due date set for when the quiz will be marked late.

That's a little confusing and possibly misleading. Thankfully, there's an Instructor's Guide How do I make a quiz available before or after the due date?  that says:

Quizzes have an autosubmit feature tied to the Until (lock) date, which may affect student submissions. Common quiz scenarios and date results include the following:

• No dates: quiz is never marked late and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
  • Due date only: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
  • Due date with Until date: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at Until date
  • Time limit: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires (only applies when students are actively taking a quiz)
  • Time limit with Until date: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires unless the Until date expires first

According to that second bullet point, your quizzes should not be autosubmitting.

Your settings aren't good for security and helping reduce cheating, but there's nothing there that would make it automatically submit the answers. See https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3313-quiz-settings-to-maximize-security?sr=search&searchId=...‌ for more information on that.

Since the settings are right, there are other things to look at.

• What browser are the students using? It is specific to one browser, is it only for people using the App? Is it specific to people using mobile devices.
  • What kinds of questions do you have on the quiz? Some question types aren't supported on the mobile apps and kick you into the mobile browser.
  • Are you sure this is what is happening or are you just basing it off what students say? Have you looked at the quiz to see if their submitting it incomplete? Have you looked at the Quiz Log (if enabled) to see what's happening?

If it turns out that it is autosubmitting when it's not supposed to, then be sure to file a trouble ticket with Canvas by going to Help and choosing Report a problem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi James,

I was basing the information off of what students were telling me.  One student showed a screen capture that said the quiz had already been submitted.  I can't be 100% certain that she hadn't pressed the submit button, but I have had a few students say they have had this issue.  I think they were taking the quiz on their phones, so I will suggest that students complete the quiz on a computer, and hopefully that will solve the issue.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Labels