cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quizzes.next

Jump to solution

Is there any talk about putting in some safeguards to make sure that students are not going to other websites; in other words, the ability to lock down the browser when taking an exam?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello datsupport.  This is a good question, and the ability to use something like Respondus Lockdown Browser with Quizzes.Next recently came up in a session with someone from Instructure at the InstructureCon "unconference" a few days ago. I am not an LTI or API wizard so hopefully I captured the answer correctly, but my understanding is that using a product like Respondus with Quizzes.Next would have to come down the road a bit because Instructure needs to have a stable API constructed to provide to companies who make secure browsers so they can then build out the next piece.  It sounds as though Instructure is working diligently to have that stable API constructed, perhaps as early as sometime later this year, but at that point it would be up to a company like Respondus to use this in creating the next piece of functionality according to their own timeline .  . . although they certainly would have an incentive to complete this as well.

I hope this helps.  I can't find the relevant posts now, but I know a while ago the question arose as to whether Instructure was considering building their own secure browser.  At least at the time the answer was no and I haven't heard anything that would suggest this has changed.

Best wishes!

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello datsupport.  This is a good question, and the ability to use something like Respondus Lockdown Browser with Quizzes.Next recently came up in a session with someone from Instructure at the InstructureCon "unconference" a few days ago. I am not an LTI or API wizard so hopefully I captured the answer correctly, but my understanding is that using a product like Respondus with Quizzes.Next would have to come down the road a bit because Instructure needs to have a stable API constructed to provide to companies who make secure browsers so they can then build out the next piece.  It sounds as though Instructure is working diligently to have that stable API constructed, perhaps as early as sometime later this year, but at that point it would be up to a company like Respondus to use this in creating the next piece of functionality according to their own timeline .  . . although they certainly would have an incentive to complete this as well.

I hope this helps.  I can't find the relevant posts now, but I know a while ago the question arose as to whether Instructure was considering building their own secure browser.  At least at the time the answer was no and I haven't heard anything that would suggest this has changed.

Best wishes!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

ericwerth,

You are right!  That is the same response you will hear from all lockdown browser vendors.  None of the vendors currently support Quizzes.Next nor Gauge which is what we badly need!

Highlighted

Thanks, Eric.  Not the answer I was hoping for time wise.  My teachers will not be using Quizzes Next until this is resolved.  Our class sizes are such that this critical to testing security.

Highlighted

Hi Eric - Have you seen any new information regarding using respondus lockdown browser with quizzes.next? Thank you.

Highlighted

Hi marianna.pinter@asu.edu.  I'm afraid that I don't have any helpful information about where this stands.  I know that even going back to InstructureCon this summer, it was something the developers said would be coming.  At that time it sounded like a release timelines was partly up to Instructure and partly up to Respondus as both would play a role in development of the integration.  Hopefully we will hear some information about this before too long!

Highlighted

Thank you or responding, Eric  : )

Highlighted
Adventurer III

I suspected this would happen. Luckily, we just purchased GoGuardian for our 6-12th grade setting. If I send the URL of the Quizzes.Next assignment and block everything else in this browser monitoring software, students can take the quiz in a secured environment. It did not work if I only created the quiz as an exception to the filter because students could get to other portions of the course, including review resources.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

This is a shame. A lot of teachers are concerned about the ability to monitor online testing. I hope that Canvas does NOT get rid of the original Quiz feature until there is a way to lockdown test with Respondus. Better yet, attach a lockdown component to Quizzes.Next. I realize this is probably much easier said than done, but it is necessary. 

Highlighted

I second your concern about moving away from the original Quiz feature until there is a lockdown/proctor feature that works.  Quiz security is such a big part of taking a quiz online - I am disappointed that Canvas didn't include this themselves in the new Quizzes.next.  F2F or online - if an instructor is using an online quiz via Canvas, they want the ability to limit student access to other sites - otherwise, they would just use paper & pencil or send students to sites for proctoring and Canvas would not be needed.  Not having this feature available (either through Canvas or outside vendors) seems absurd.