cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Quizzes not appearing in calendar.

Hello!

I have created several practice quizzes within specific modules. They have due dates and are published - some students have even completed them. The issue is, some are appearing in the calendar, and some are not. The appropriate classes have been selected to view, but they are still not showing. What button (of a zillion) am I forgetting to click?

13 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi robin_harris@ccpsnet.net‌ - I'm not sure I understand why some of the practice quizzes are available while others are not as none of them should be available on the calendar if they are practice quizzes.

I have run into the problem of needing to put practice quizzes on the calendar myself, however, and I've addressed it in a few ways depending on the scope and important of the practice quiz:

1. I've added an event to the Calendar reminding students that the practice quiz is available a week before the actual quiz with a link to the practice quiz.
  2. I've included a link to the practice quiz in their "At-A-Glance" page I've created to let them see everything that's happening each week. In this instance I will sometimes give them a couple of weeks of advance access to the practice quiz.
  3. If I think think they need the practice quiz in order to do well on the test I'll include an Alert using HTML at the top of a page that I know they have to see for that week that looks like this:
Make sure to check out the HIGHLY RECOMMENDED practice quiz in anticipation of the upcoming quiz!

You can insert it into the HTML of any page like this:

<Alert variant="info" margin="small">
<strong>Make sure to check out the HIGHLY RECOMMENDED practice quiz in anticipation of the upcoming quiz!</strong>
</Alert>

In this case students cannot close this alert so it is always visible. If you want them to be able to close it you can include this as part of the <Alert> tag: 

closeButtonLabel="Close"
Highlighted
Surveyor

Would it be possible to make this a development item and let the instructor decide? In D2L, for example, I think there's an option to "show on calendar" for quizzes. Then everyone can decide what fits their pedagogical style & goals.

(I came across this question because I'm trying to make an ungrade survey show up on the calendar with no luck.)

Highlighted

Hello vilja.hulden@colorado.edu,

Yes, this is almost a textbook example of how the feature idea process works.  Currently by design, anything with due date is reflected in the to-do list but items like practice quizzes that do not affect the grade total are not reflected in the calendar.  If you don't agree with this design, you can vote to have it changed.  Another community member has already started the voting process here.  If the idea gets enough votes to propel it into the top ten percent of its monthly cohort it will remain open for vote.  Quarterly our product team will take each idea in the overall top ten percent and scope them, meaning figure out how many hours of engineering time it would take to create and then consider where the idea fits or doesn't fit with overall strategy, what things would need to be updated before this can be changed, etc.  If you haven't read it and are curious you can learn more here.

Cheers,

SD

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, robin_harris@ccpsnet.net...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on September 12, 2018.  It looks like you've had some responses from both Canvas Community members and Community Managers the past few months.  Have you had a chance to review the above responses?  Have any of them helped to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to a response you feel is correct.  However, if you are still looking for some assistance with your question, please let us know that as well by posting a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because there hasn't been any new activity for about a month in this topic.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are relate to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Robin.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.