cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msmiley2
Community Member

Quizzing features not working properly

Jump to solution

A course coordinator emailed me because they had set up their quizzes identical to last year. They allow for the answers to show after a release time (see attachment). However, in looking at how the quizzes are set up, Canvas isn't responding accordingly. The students are unable to see the correct answers after the allotted time period. 

Here is the direct request: 

1. Students are usually able to see the answers for all questions (after a certain date), but for this quiz, they were only able to see that for questions they answered correctly. I checked with previous quizzes and the settings were set up the same way we've always done, so not sure what's causing this.
  2. There seems to be a way for students to submit comments during the quiz now. Is there a way to turn that off?

Is there a feature I'm missing that is overriding this?? Also -- how do we set up quizzes that don't have comments during the quiz? Is that something defaulted? 

Thanks! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @msmiley2 ...

I was browsing through older questions, and I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for over two months.  So, I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had a chance to review  @kona ' most recent reply?  Did either of Kona's responses help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions yet about this topic?  If you feel that one of Kona's above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still in need of some help with this question, please post a comment below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to assist you.  For now, since we've not had any new activity in this thread for over two months, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Melissa.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@msmiley2 , this might sound silly, but have you 100% verified that students can't see the feedback? So have you masqueraded as a few of the students and gone in to see if you can see the feedback or not. If you have and you can't, then I'd submit this to Canvas support because it's not functioning as intended. 

As for quiz comments, that feature has always been there (at least for the last 5 years) and there is no way to turn it off. Granted it wouldn't be there while they were taking the quiz (so not on the same page), but I guess technically the student could open up another browser window or get out of the quiz to access the Comment area. To access it the student has to click on Grades and then the name of the Quiz (or assignment or discussion). The quiz feedback and a Comment box (on the right) would then show up. If the student hasn't taken the quiz they won't see anything other than a blank page (that says no submission) and the comment box. If you don't want students using it then the best thing to do is just tell students not to use it for a specific course. 

msmiley2
Community Member

Thank you  @kona ‌ for your reply. 

I imported the quizzes into my sandbox because of the availability and closing restrictions, I cannot use student view in the live course. I have spent the better part of today playing with these quizzes and I cannot replicate this problem. I communicated this to the course coordinator and she gave me the following response: 

• I unfortunately don't have the NetIDs for the students affected by this since so many of them just wandered into office hours and I heard about them from the IBL and ABLs. So as far as I can tell, it affected everyone.
  • When I previewed the quiz, I got the same issue where I was able to immediately see which questions were answered correctly. This is the biggest issue we need resolved since we want to make sure students don't see a list of correct answers before the quiz closes for the rest of the class. 
  • Re: the comment, the screenshot you sent is what I was talking about. It seems to be a new feature? At least, none of us remember it existing until this week.

Since she's saying she is "Previewing" the quiz NOT looking in student view, the quiz WILL display differently and the features will not work the same. So I'm wondering if she needs to be using student view during the quizzing time parameters she established. However, like I said, I couldn't get her problem to replicate itself -- even when I tried. 

And yes, I sent a screenshot of the comments she was talking about and she is stating it didn't exist until this week. 

Thank you for your help. I am still at a loss. Unless I can trace it within Canvas with the user information, I cannot say this is actually happening because I cannot replicate it.

253565_Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 2.56.10 PM.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have to agree with what you are saying. I'd let the teacher know that you aren't able to replicate the issue and that if it comes up for the next test to get specific names of students and let you know ASAP so you can check into it. 

Also, have you tried playing around with it in the Canvas Test or Beta environments - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11191-what-is-the-canvas-test-environment?sr=search&searchI...‌ & https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11160-what-is-the-canvas-beta-environment?sr=search&searchI...‌ That way you could play around in the actual course and test, as well as use the test student.

As for comments, she can believe what she likes, but we've been using Canvas for 5+ years and it's always been there... 😉

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @msmiley2 ...

I was browsing through older questions, and I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for over two months.  So, I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had a chance to review  @kona ' most recent reply?  Did either of Kona's responses help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions yet about this topic?  If you feel that one of Kona's above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still in need of some help with this question, please post a comment below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to assist you.  For now, since we've not had any new activity in this thread for over two months, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Melissa.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

View solution in original post