RE: Gradebook Requires Grading After Due Date

Jump to solution
berwin
Community Contributor

We allow students to keep practicing their homework problems after the due date. The assignments are set to keep the highest score. However, some of the questions on the assignments also require manual grading. Some students may go in after the due date and just "Submit" so they can see the correct answers. This causes the system to require us to grade the questions that require manual grading or else the assignment will show as missing on the student's end. 

How can we allow them to continue to go into the assignment and do as they please, but at the same time, keep the highest grade they achieved (and that we already manually graded) before the due date? At first the assignment would show as late, so I changed it to "None" in the gradebook, but it still wants me to grade the manual questions before it changes the orange circle in the Speedgrader back to a green checkmark. 

If there's no solution, I'm thinking I can create two separate modules, one where the assignment will have a close date, we'll grade it and that will be their final grade, and another module where there are no points and no manual grading, where they can continue to practice. Or we can send them a pdf of the answers; however, with this latter solution, there may be students who actually want to attempt the problems, rather than simply look through answers on a pdf.

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@berwin 

Your no solution of creating a second assignment is the one that I have seen recommended most often by people. Create copies of the assignments and put the copy in an assignment group that counts for 0% of the grade. Modify the copy to remove the manual grading.

Quizzes can be challenging to duplicate within a course, though. You may want to test the process in your beta instance of Canvas until you are sure it's working properly. Here are a couple of resources that provide instructions: How to Duplicate a Quiz and Duplicating quizzes. 

Note the warnings in the instructions. The first one doesn't require downloading / uploading files, but only allows you to make a single copy of a quiz. The second approach requires exporting / importing files but allows you to make multiple copies. Also, the posts are a couple of years old, which is why you should test inside your beta instance first.

I would take a slightly different approach, but similar to the first. Copy the quizzes from one course into a sandbox course and change all the names. Then fix them to remove the manually graded questions. Now copy them back into the original course. The reason is that that the imports will create names the same as the original and it can sometimes be difficult to tell them apart. Involving the sandbox course and renaming them eliminates that issue and it also keeps everything inside Canvas rather than having to download / upload files. A potential issue is that you might need the help of your Canvas administrator to create a sandbox course.

View solution in original post