cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

RICH CONTENT EDITOR MISSING...

Why the Rich Content Editor is missing for every question type answers, except Multiple Choice and Multiple Answer question types? The Rich Content Editor should be on every single question types' answer...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, fernando.vega-cid@browardschools.com...

Could you please give some additional details about your question?  Are you not seeing the RCE when creating certain types of questions in your Canvas quizzes?  Or, are you wanting the RCE to show up for students for specific question types as they take a quiz in your course?  Also, are you using the current Quizzes, or are you using the new Quizzes.Next quizzing engine?  If you could please help to clarify some of these questions...maybe even giving an example or two...that would be helpful.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Answer Boxes with no option to Rich Content Editor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

When I create a quiz, test, or a assignment and I choose Multiple Choice as a question type, when I type the set of answers, I can insert a math equation because through RCE I have access to the MATH EQUATION EDITOR, same situation if I choose Multiple Answers, but when I want to use any of the other question type and have my students to type on Math equation and then let Canvas grades the quiz/test/assignments without me going through and checking the answers (Ex. using Essay type for them to submit their answers) I CAN'T, just because the RCE is not showing on every answer box.

I just attached below, every single answer option box to show that the little Editable Answer Tool is missing. That Editable Answer Tool gives us access to the RCE and let us to type one right math answer, so, our students.

I hope you understand my question/idea. BRING THE EDITABLE ANSWER TOOL for every type of question.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

By the way, same situation happens with the new QUIZZES.NEXT... The EDITABLE ANSWER TOOL doesn't show up on the response boxes to let teachers and students to type a math type answer. More of the same....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Here is exactly what I am asking for:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9518-equation-answer-option-on-quizzes 

I want my students to be able to enter an equation as an answer on quizzes.  Numerical answers are useful at times, but I need my math students to be able to enter fractions, exponents, radicals, etc. as an answer.  If I have the option of inserting a math equation into my question, my students should be able to do so when they answer.

• yes but teachers still have to go back and grade the work even if the answer is numerical. If someone was able to create an esheet webbased program that allows math editor for an answer box and it is free, why can't Canvas offer if districts are paying for it?

Like3 Reply
      • Leslie Glen

Many of us in Washington State use WAMAP, which is specifically for math, and it IS free. Outside WA you can use its sister interface, iMathAS, which is also free. It's an extra step, but I'm told that WAMAP is integrable into Canvas; I would wager that iMathAS is as well...

Like0 Reply
      • Heather Humpherys

I would also like the option of including equation formatting in multiple choice answer options, fill-in-the-blank, short answer, etc.  Right now the only way student can use the equation editor is for essay answers, and they have to be manually graded.  This is extremely disappointing for math teachers!

0 Kudos
      Highlighted
      Surveyor II

It would be MAGICAL and PERFECT if the MATHQUILL pop up when the student tries to answer a math problem.

308005_pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
      Highlighted
      Community Coach
      Community Coach

Hello fernando.vega-cid@browardschools.com...

Checking in with you again because I see that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over six months.  I'm not sure if you've been able to find a solution to your original question or not, but I did noticed that you had linked to a Feature Idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9518-equation-answer-option-on-quizzes" modifiedtitle="true" t..., in one of your above replies.  It seems like this Feature Idea closely matches something that you would like to see implemented in Canvas.  I see that you posted a comment to that Feature Idea, so that's good.  If you haven't voted for it yet, I would encourage you to do that as well.  Since there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since March 10, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.

I am going to ping james@richland.edu‌ here just in case he has any possible work-arounds that might work for your needs.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Fernando.

0 Kudos
      Labels