Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdeswart
Community Member

Random quiz question different for each student

Jump to solution

Hi,

I know it is possible to create a quiz with random selected questions. However is it possible that the questions selected be different for each student?

Thank you very much for your help

Marie

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @mdeswart  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  There are many expert users out here in the Community, and let me start by telling you that I am in NO position myself to answer your question definitively.  However, I can direct you to a recent thread that addressed a similar topic.  You are basically wondering if you have a guarantee that all students will have a different set of questions.  My gut answer is "not likely," but the actual answer comes down to math.  How many questions?  How many students?

And, as I said, I'm not the one to answer you, but fortunately there is a Community member who is, and that is  @James ‌, who wrote an answer to a similar question here: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/99823-re-insufficient-question-sampling-from-test-banks .  As you are new to the Community, I would also suggest that you "follow" James, as he offers superb answers to questions, as you can see from that thread that I link to above.  (Just click on his name and then the "Follow" button.)

I hope this points you in the right direction, Marie!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @mdeswart  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  There are many expert users out here in the Community, and let me start by telling you that I am in NO position myself to answer your question definitively.  However, I can direct you to a recent thread that addressed a similar topic.  You are basically wondering if you have a guarantee that all students will have a different set of questions.  My gut answer is "not likely," but the actual answer comes down to math.  How many questions?  How many students?

And, as I said, I'm not the one to answer you, but fortunately there is a Community member who is, and that is  @James ‌, who wrote an answer to a similar question here: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/99823-re-insufficient-question-sampling-from-test-banks .  As you are new to the Community, I would also suggest that you "follow" James, as he offers superb answers to questions, as you can see from that thread that I link to above.  (Just click on his name and then the "Follow" button.)

I hope this points you in the right direction, Marie!

View solution in original post

James
Navigator

The short version of the document  @kblack  referred you to is no.

There is no setting, either at the quiz level or the question level, to guarantee that each student will get a different version.

mdeswart
Community Member

Thank you for your answer.

Is there any plan to add that as an option in the future? I know it will be difficult to achieve for a large number of questions per quiz and students but it seems feasable for a small number of students and quizz questions assuming the bank of question is big enough.

I don't work for Instructure, but if I put on my magic hat and looked into my crystal ball, I would say no, that is not something that will get developed.

It's a lot of work for a little gain and doesn't fall into them targeting the middle 60% of users and balancing a clean, uncluttered interface with few choices with the demands of users.

The biggest issue I see is that you would have to have at least as many questions as students. A faculty might create 10 versions when they made the quiz, but in another semester end up with 20 students and then it's mathematically impossible to guarantee uniqueness.

Then you have to consider that some faculty allow multiple attempts. So if I had 10 versions and 10 students and allowed requizzing, then I'm out of available questions once that first student tried their second attempt.

When you have a lot of questions, the quiz responds slow. I have one quiz with 9 questions, each having 150 possible versions. It is a pain to load and edit. That slowness discourages people from pulling from large question banks.

Even if you could sample without replacement on a single question because you had a large enough sample, enforcing that across multiple different questions or when pulling multiple questions from a question group becomes a computing intensive activity and the idea is to deliver quizzes quickly to the student, not wait for the system to figure out which questions are going to get delivered only to then find out that it's impossible since there aren't enough questions available that haven't already been used.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Sage advice,  @James !

I threw that out there as a possibility; although, I do think it would not be worth it in the long run. 

If testing security is a concern, then there are much easier ways, which Kona describes quite well at Quiz Settings to Maximize Security 

Kelley

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Do not abandon all hope,  @mdeswart !

While perhaps a tad-bit messy from a gradebook perspective, you can assign a quiz to an individual student - messy gradebook, and very tedious chore that I would only undertake for a very high-stakes exam, and maybe not even then! Learn how at How do I assign a quiz to an individual student? 

You can also request this as a new Canvas feature. Learn more at How does the feature idea process work?‌  I will add that Canvas is developing a brand new quizzing engine, and you can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes . It is from within this group that I would suggest adding your feature request.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

dinhtan1k
Surveyor

There's a great solution for you already, Google just published an add-on for Google Sheets, creating loads of different quizzes for each student.
Just open Google Sheets, go to Add-ons, find Random Quiz, download it and use it.
Good luck.