cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Randomizing Order of Quiz Questions

Jump to solution

how can i randomize the order of my quiz questions? (I know how to shuffle the answers -- but not the order of the questions)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, the short answer is use question groups, for more details see the following guide - How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group to randomize quiz questions?

Does this help?

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, the short answer is use question groups, for more details see the following guide - How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group to randomize quiz questions?

Does this help?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Yes.  I'll have to experiment with it, but yes. thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Very good! Let us know if you have more questions!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I undertand this, but I use question groups to essentially create different forms of my tests. Since you can't nest question groups within question groups, I really would like the ability to randomize questions and question groups.

Highlighted
Community Member

Wow... This post was written in 2015... and this features has not been implemented yet???

Every time I need something slightly out of the ordinary in Canvas the answer to the problem is always "Canvas can't do it, but there is a workaround..."

In question groups all questions have the same grade, this is not desirable at all.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

i.oliveira@utwente.nl, as you've noted, you've unearthed a very old discussion—and much has happened since then. If you'd like to shuffle all of questions in a quiz, that feature is available via a single click in the Quizzes.Next tool: How do I manage delivery settings for an assessment in Quizzes.Next?  The full set of documentation for Quizzes.Next is here.

Quizzes.Next is now available for all accounts, and first has to be turned on at the account level for it to be available to instructors to use in their courses, so if you'd like to start using it, please contact your Canvas admin for additional guidance.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​...

Looks like kona@richland.edu​ has helped you out.  I'm going to modify the title of this question since you already have the same wording in the body of your message.  Also, I'm going to tag your posting with keywords.  All of this is to help people when searching for similar topics.  Hope this is ok with you.

Highlighted
Community Member

This feature does not address the more common need of offering the same online quiz with the same questions to all students but randomizing the order of the questions so students can't work on the quiz together.   Moodle and Blackboard both offer this feature in the Quiz Settings.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​, see kona@richland.edu​'s comment of June 10 above; if you drag and drop all of the questions in the quiz into a question group, the question order will be randomized, so that students can't work on the quiz together. This will accomplish exactly what you're looking for. And, for additional quiz security, you can set the quiz to deliver one question at a time. That option is available in the quiz settings.

You're correct that currently, randomizing quiz questions can't be accomplished by enabling a box in the quiz settings. Please consider adding your upvote and comments to this feature idea that is open for voting:

Labels