cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Randomizing the order of quiz answers?

How do I randomize the order of answers in a multiple choice quiz? When I preview the questions I've created so far, the correct answer always appears as the first answer, and I think my students will figure that out!

Tags (1)
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, jlpoxon@hotmail.com Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your message.  I think you'll be happy to learn that with the new Quizzes.Next quizzing engine, this is now possible.  Check out this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15070-4152780604 (specifically look at the section called "Shuffle Answers" about half-way down the Guide).  If your school is not yet using the Quizzes.Next quizzing engine, you might want to talk with your school's local Canvas admin to see if he/she would be willing to reach out to the school's Canvas Customer Success Manager to have this turned on for your entire school.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Judith!

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply, Chris. It looks like we're not using Quizzes Next, but I'm thinking that there must be something I can do with what we have, since a multiple choice quiz in which the first answer is always the correct one would be pretty worthless. Got any other thoughts?

Judith

Highlighted

Hi again, jlpoxon@hotmail.com...

I am curious to know where you are seeing that the 1st choice for any given Multiple Choice question is always the correct answer.  You should always be able to manually change the order of your question choices so that the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice is the "correct" answer.  Are you able to change the correct answer as you are editing questions?  See the Guide How do I create a Multiple Choice quiz question? (specifically the section called "Change Correct Answer" about half-way down the page).

Highlighted

Got it, Chris. Thanks.

Judith

Highlighted

Yes, I've already learned what I should do to placement of the correct response. Thanks.

Judith

Highlighted
Learner II

In the Details section of your quiz there's a box to check to shuffle the answers to questions. I think its right above where you specify if the quiz has a time limit.

Highlighted

Thanks!

Judith

Highlighted

I have quizzes in D2L where some of the questions should have answers shuffled and others where it would be terrible ("None of the above"!!).  We're moving to Canvas.  Is there any way to selectively shuffle answers for a question?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

John,

If you change "None of the above" to "None of these answers is correct" you can shuffle answers on all questions.

Judith Poxon

Labels