cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hannah_thompson
Community Member

Re-Using Videos Created Within Canvas

Jump to solution

Can I save a video I use the "Record an audio or video comment" feature for so that I can re-use it in future terms or for other classes?

Also, I sent an email video message to one class using that feature; can I send it to another class without having to re-record it?  The email/inbox message would not allow me to select recipients from two different classes.  I am also unable to forward the message to students in another class.  I even tried forwarding it to myself so that I could try forwarding it to students in another class, and that wouldn't work either.

Thanks for any help/tips.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

I think the answer is "no,"  @hanmthom ​, but until others weigh in, I might suggest that for frequently-used items you consider downloading a free screen recording software and then save the output in the MP4 format.  The Instructure folks are high on Jing, but their free version only allows you save locally as a SWF file.  (Although you could also keep it on their Screencast service and then link to the video you want them to view.)  My personal free one, however, is Screencast-o-Matic, which DOES allow you to save as an MP4 file to your own hard drive.

Then, with the file, when you click that little "film" icon for the media comment, but instead of using Canvas' built-in recorder, you can select UPLOAD MEDIA, as outlined towards the end of this article: How do I attach a media comment to a message?  (What I'm unsure of is how much this may affect your course limit for uploaded files.)

Hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post

lee_knowlton
Community Member

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the question, but I think you can save the video with the following process:

1. Click play the video you've recorded to start playback.
  2. Right click and "save video as"

245464_Capture.PNG

5 Replies
kblack
Community Member

I think the answer is "no,"  @hanmthom ​, but until others weigh in, I might suggest that for frequently-used items you consider downloading a free screen recording software and then save the output in the MP4 format.  The Instructure folks are high on Jing, but their free version only allows you save locally as a SWF file.  (Although you could also keep it on their Screencast service and then link to the video you want them to view.)  My personal free one, however, is Screencast-o-Matic, which DOES allow you to save as an MP4 file to your own hard drive.

Then, with the file, when you click that little "film" icon for the media comment, but instead of using Canvas' built-in recorder, you can select UPLOAD MEDIA, as outlined towards the end of this article: How do I attach a media comment to a message?  (What I'm unsure of is how much this may affect your course limit for uploaded files.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you!  I have used Jing before, but I think I will try Screencast-o-Matic too.  Thank you for the suggestion and the help!

Hannah

Jeff_F
Adventurer II

@kblack  is spot on!  And if you wish to record just webcam video then use the webcam capture software.

Also, keep your users in mind and note their technology footprint (do they have broadband?; will they be sharing a wireless connection when accessing the media?). If all looks promising you may elect to record using other software at a higher quality setting and upload that file as Ken suggests.  However, if students are to view the content using multiple devices in the same room, at the same time, then the lower quality settings might be needed.

lee_knowlton
Community Member

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the question, but I think you can save the video with the following process:

1. Click play the video you've recorded to start playback.
  2. Right click and "save video as"

245464_Capture.PNG

bourjaim
Surveyor II

I know this is an old post, but I found that this is possible.  I recorded a video comment for a student's essay, and inexplicably, the video saved to a different student (the next one in Speedgrader).  I didn't want to have to re-record the comments.  After some experimentation, I found that the following allowed me to download a copy of my comments:

- From Gradebook, I clicked the student's name who had the video comment

- I then clicked on the Assignment

- On this screen, I was able to play the media comment

- While the media comment played, right-clicking in the center of the video brought up a menu that included "Save video as..."

I was then able to download the video, and re-upload it to the correct student.  Just thought this might help others looking for a solution.