cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmyers7
Surveyor

Reading Posts In Discussion Board

Is there a way to link directly to a student's unread post or reply in discussion board without scrolling through all of them?

Thanks

Janet

9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jmyers7 , greetings! I didn't think there was, so I went ahead and double-checked and no there doesn't appear to be a way on the front end of Canvas to link directly to a student's unread post or reply. If you are trying to view all posts from an individual student you can use Speedgrader to see just that student's posts. Would that help? If not, could you explain more of what you're trying to accomplish and maybe we could help figure out another work around?

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I do use the speed grader to view all posts by the students. I was looking for a way to see the new ones that get posted in DB. I don't know which student is posting and therefore really can't go to speed grader to find out. Does that help?

Janet

Franciscan Values:

• Reverence the unique dignity of each person

• Encourage a trustful, affirming community of learners

• Serve with joy one another, society, and the Church

• Foster peace and justice

• Respect creation

2701 Spring Street

Fort Wayne, Indiana 46808

Phone: 260-399-7999

Fax: 260-399-8156

jmyers@sf.edu<http://www.sf.edu/>

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jmyers7 

If you are asking about going straight to a specific user's discussion posting, there are actually two ways to do this....

1. You can use the Search function within the discussion. It will pull up every post by that individual, and only display posts by that user until you clear the search field. Learn how at How do I view and sort discussion replies as an instructor? 
  2. If it is a graded discussion, you can go into SpeedGrader for that discussion and search the student list for a specific student. SpeedGrader will then display every post by that student in that discussion.  Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13307-4152801031 

If I have misread what you are asking, please let me know.

Kelley

When I come back into a DB (Graded) and see that there have been new posts, I do not know who may have posted it. In my classes right now there are around 14 students in each section that I teach. I like the idea of speed grader and the search bringing up all posts by a student. However, when checking on new posts after I have already read some and go back in; I really don't know who may have posted. I didn't know if there was a way that these can be sorted out until they are read. Otherwise, I scroll down thru all posts until I come to the ones I haven't seen. Does that help?

Thanks for any help you can give; and if there isn't any other way, I understand.

Janet

Franciscan Values:

• Reverence the unique dignity of each person

• Encourage a trustful, affirming community of learners

• Serve with joy one another, society, and the Church

• Foster peace and justice

• Respect creation

2701 Spring Street

Fort Wayne, Indiana 46808

Phone: 260-399-7999

Fax: 260-399-8156

jmyers@sf.edu<http://www.sf.edu/>

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jmyers7 ...

When you are visiting discussion topics in your course, are you also taking a look at the blue dot (may be a different color for you) that appears next to new replies from your students?  (See the section called "View Replies" in this Guide: How do I view and sort discussion replies as an instructor?.)  You kind of have to keep a close eye on those blue dots, though, because they turn white fairly quickly once a student's reply is visible on the screen.

Chris,

I do use the blue dots. I found the setting today where I could manually click on them so they don't disappear so quickly.

Janet

jmyers7
Surveyor

I also found a button that says "unread", that brings all the unread posts to one place.  That is also helpful.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jmyers7 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Yes, I did get my answer.