cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Real Time Narrative publishing quiz and "student view"

I post this MERELY for discussion..............

AND............to determine if OTHER USERS have gone through the same sequence of events.

Please forgive the quirky nature of the narrative....my fish kind of became toasty.....the chips were ok.

Using Libre Office Writer

unfortunately I had fish and chips in the oven and over cooked them.

Firefox clicked Instructure

College interface login

Fish definitely too much crispy and chips kind of ok

My first section numerically

What I see from top down

Spring 2017

Home

Announcements

Syllabus

Moduloes

Discussions

Grades

People..

“GREYED OUT” it is there,I can click it but it is “grey”

Outcomes

Assignments

Files

Quizzes

Pages

Conferences

Collaboration

IN NOT BOLDED… finer test

Insructor Course

Evalutaions

Office 365

Settings.

On the right is “New Conferences and There are no new conferences” and “concluded Conferences,”there are no concluded conferences”.

I will now attempt to publish a “quiz”.

I clicked the “greyed out” “Quiz’.

I see

In bold

Assignment Quizzes

and in a box below that:

“FEsp17” which is what I expected to see it is the quiz that I “published / uploaded /whatever”.

119 pts | 60 questions

To the right are a DARK GREY “cloud thing” with an “X” in the “cloud thing” and then a DARK GREY “gear” and then a down arrow indicating a submenu

Hovering over the cloudy thing shows “publish’

Hovering over the gear shows nothing

Hovering over the down arrow shows nothing

I click the “cloud thing” I turns “GREEN” with a “check mark” and offers a “balloon” which says “published”.

OK SO WHAT NOW!!!??

if I click the upper “+ quiz” it gives me ANOTHER QUIZ….which if I click “the gear” I can “delete” ...so I do that

I am now back to the listing of “quizzes” which has a GREEN WHEEL and the title of the quiz and a curious “x” in a “circle wheel” with an “x” which says that “syncing to SLS is disable’. And the GREEN CLOUD with a check which when hovered says...” unpublish” and the GEARS...lol

lotsa gears..!!

QUIZZES………..is NOW IN a BLUE.. BOX

QUIZZES IS NOW IN A BLUE BOX

Clicking the blue box….shows the same thing...duuhh,,,

WHAT TO DO ………….WHAT TO DO…………..

WHAT TO DO…………

OH YEAH…………….

Somewhere it said that I should go through about fifty sub menus to see something

KIND OF LINE BLACKBOARD a flat file database of about ten generations ago…

So…….hey

I’ll CLICK….setting….surely THAT will do SOMETHING!!

I mean OFFICE 365 is all about the college PAYING MONEY TO MICROSOFT ™

Hey………..MY COURSE DETAILS SHOWS UP

Even me in my scuba diving gear…!! lol

I mean WHAT is with that!!??!!!

Ummm NOTHING!!

DOWN AT THE BOTTOM………...there is…

“more options”….so I click that since I am halfway throug my

HALF BURNT….fish and chips!!

I mean……….Chateau Fleet Sreet? Lol

And………..low and behold……..amidst a bunch of OTHER OPTIONS

is

“Student View”….

Well since I have visited Chateau Fleet and consumed BURNT Fish and chips…

what the hey!!??

I will click “Student View” and what, to my wondering eyes” doth appear….?

UMMM THE SAME THING….except

ON THE LEFT…

Home(blue box)

Annouincements

Syllabus

Modules

Diuscussions

Grades

People…

and………..the ever so presnt

PAID FOR BY THE COLLEGE…

NOTHING IS FREE EXCEPT A LUNCH..oh...no..not even that

Office 365

ANY WAY…..

THE STUDENT HAS NO INDICATION THAT I HAVE PUBLISHED AN EXAM

of some small imporance….

THE WORD QUIZ IS NOT THERE.

I MEAN………….

I SPENT HOURS MAKING “a quiz” ….

AND……………..

THE STUDENT DOES NOT SEE

IN MY “student view”………...A FURSHLUGGINER

QUIZ?

EXCQUIIIZZEEE MEEEEEEE

WHAT

is the student to do?

AFTER ALL THEY PAID CASH MONEY

Or the TAXPAYER paid cash money to have student take a quiz.

So I DUTIFLULLY ….like a good student “click through things”…

MAYBE it is in “modules”………….umm NO!!!!!!

Sooooo I go to “grades”…...and what do I see?

A VERTICAL LISTING OF STUFF that the student has or is supposed to do…

I SEE………..OH my golly………….the ABBREVIATION for “the quiz”..

I click it and I see “Submission details”… “no submission”… “add a comment” and a

BUNCH OF GOBBLEDY GOOK

I now have…………..

21 minutes before when I am supposed to “publish” the “quiz”…

ANNNNTIIIIICIIIIPAATION!!!

I click “leave student view” and I get THE SAME THING

only WITHOUT A NICE PURPLE BOX AT THE BOTTOM

BTW………..i like purple……….lol

just sayin’! Lol

SIXTEEN MINUTES TO……...publish time

YES I COULD HAVE PREPUBLISHED IT WITH SETTING…

BUT……….why kill the suspense!!??

GO TO THE STILL CURIOUSLY greyed out…

QUIZZES

AND GUESS WHAT… the stupid test is published…

what!!?

what????

I am a student….

THRASHING ABOUT BECAUSE THE INSTRUCTOR IS vindictive

she is on my case!!! I need to doo the stupid thing!!!~

what do I do??

HEAR THIS LOUD AN CLEAR

HEAR THIS LOUD AND CLEAR

HEAR THIS LOUD AND CLEAR

NOWHERE

NOWHERE

NOWHERE

IN STUDENT VIEW IS THERE any

any

ANY

INDICATION OF WHERE THE STUDENT

IS TO ACTULLY CLICK

THAT I

SO BLITHELY/……I am THE INSTRUCTOR

SAID……….TAKE THE TEST….

OOPS…

UMMM TAKE THE QUIZ…

I go and click...GRADES…

NOTHING…

I CLICK MODULES…………..NADA…

UMM THAT IS COLLOQUIAL FOR nothing!!!

I AM DESPERATE……

I HAVE…………..

7 MINUTES

AND GUESS WHAT

I DO NOT KNOW IF THE STUDENT ACTUALLY CAN

see SEE……...THE STUPID QUIZ

UMMM

when I see the “GRADES” PAGE…

I SEE………..

“test student”….

I pity the poor ………….

DO NOT KNOW WHO…

I am NOW down to…. Five minutes….

Well………..I am tenured so my pay does not depend

on whether the student can

FIND what I posted.

Oph………...DASHBOARD

BIG RED BOX

You cannot access this functionality ( don’t you just love OFFICIAL SOUNDING WORDS !! ) in student view”

well……..exqueeze me!!

Maybe Blackboard was not that bad after all.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

\

I GO BACK TO MY EXCLUSIVE TEACHERY VIEW

AND GO TO “GRADES” AND

CLICK THE COLUMN FOR THE PUBLISHED QUIZ

AND GUESS WHAT…………

IT TAKE Me………

the stupid furshligener teacher

to the stupid test

AND TO ME THERE IS A GREAT BIG GREEN

BUTTON THAT SAYS…………………..

PUBLISHED with a nice little cloud” symbol…

the nice little symbol of a cloud is SO reaasuring…

that has a nice “check mark” that says...”Published”

I LOVE IT…………

FROM PAST EXPERIENCE

IF IC CLICKQUE……...IF I CLIQUE……...”preview

I AM NOW A STUDENT AND CANT CHANGE ANYTING…………

poor teacher...

but guess whatever

BTW of one goes to “grades” the column is there…

and...

CLICKING AS A TEACHER

CLICKING THE TOPO OF THE COLUMN FOR THE THING

CLICKING THE TOP OF THE COLUMN

FOR THE TEACHER………

LANDS ME ON THE TEST…..

but

BUT………….BUT…….

I STILL DO NOT KNOW if the student SEES IT!!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!

SOOOOOOO

I GO TO “INBOX” FOR THE CLASS AND SEND THEM AN E-MAIL;

IF YOU DO

not

SEE THE EXAM PLEASE E-MAIL ME.

GIVE ME A BREAK...

Tags (5)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Yes

I REALIZE that Canvas is "in Beta".........I have done BETA TESTING for thirty years....but really..............

0 Kudos
Highlighted

sheldonj@otc.edu‌, it sounds like you've been through quite a bit to get your quiz published. [I'm glad your dinner still turned out edible though!]

My initial question is are you still questioning if your quiz is visible to students or not? If you go to Settings and click on the Student View for Test Student (upper right box) can you see the quiz? See this guide for help - How do I view a course using a test student? 

Regardless, just to make sure everything is set for your students my recommendations are to:

(1) Navigate to the quiz (Quizzes link on left), click on the quiz, click the edit button, and check your quiz settings. It should say published at the top towards the right (in green) and then at the bottom you should have your availability dates - do they match when you want students to be able to take the quiz? If you're not sure how these settings work check out this document - Quiz Settings to Maximize Security‌. PS - these guides will help with the published quiz questions you've been having - How do I use Draft State in Quizzes?‌ & How do I use the Quizzes Index Page? 

(2) Add the quiz to your Modules. Go to Modules (link on left) and click the + button next to the module you'd like to add the quiz. Select quizzes from the dropdown and then select this quiz. See these guides for more information - How do I add a module? & How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?

Once you add the quiz to the Module you will want to make sure the Module and the quiz both have a green published cloud icon. See this guide for more help - How do I use Draft State in Modules?

(3) Check to see which navigational links you have enabled for the course. To do this click on settings and then Navigation (tab). This shows you which links (on the left in your course) are set to be visible to your students. You can drag and drop them to get them the way you want them. See this guide for more information - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10286 

(4) If you run into more problems check the Canvas Instructor Guide - Table of Contents. The guides really are quite useful! In addition, if your school offers Canvas training you might want to check it out. It's mandatory for our faculty and really cuts down on a lot of this type of frustration. That and the fact that faculty know they can email me with these types of questions and I'll respond at all times of the day and night. I have a 10 min rule - I tell faculty that if it takes longer than 10 minutes to figure something out to check our training course and the guides, but if they still aren't sure to just email me for help. In general nothing should be that confusing to do in Canvas and faculty have better things to do with their time. And hey, job security for me! 😉

Back to your original concern...

Overall as as long as the quiz is published, open to students, and has a due date it will show up to students on the calendar, their to do list, and (depending on their notification preferences) they would have gotten a notification that the quiz was published. 

Hope this is helpful!

Highlighted

Hi

That information is very helpful.

I have been "running to catch up" on this class.  I've done pure on-line using Blackboard which was well....laborious... and this is my first "hybrid" with students studying for one "class session" at home and one seated and a physical lab.

I decided to fore go actually attempting to make an online exam because I had to create the content itself and have, unfortunately had to work a part time job this summer so the creation of quizzes was put on the back burner.

However, I do have "everything" up and running for the class in terms of links to this or that, uploading .pdfs etc.

The problem "for me" is that, as when I mentioned the recursive thing, that when one does things from one end, it does not seem to appear but when one does things from another end suddenly things appear.

The other thing was "imported content" and "imported gradebook" etc.  It was not intuitive to me that just because it was sitting in syllabus that it may or may not be included in the gradebook.

But, as with the "artifact" dates, as I encounter a situation I wander around fiddling with stuff until I get it fixed.

Now, I just WISH that I could get my VCR to play that tape of my youngest boy's last basketball game...hmmm it MIGHT be the peanut butter in it. dunno... Smiley Happy

But, I have copied and pasted what you posted and printed it off so that I don't have to be flipping back and forth and will try to get a quiz up and running this week.

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

James Sheldon

Highlighted
Community Member

To put it bluntly

"to me" this is a problem of "recursion" which is...possibly .... a situation of going all the way back to the "for next" loop.  just a thought, of little worth.

0 Kudos
Labels