cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
margaret_mclain
Community Member

Rebooting issues on computers.

I am having to reboot my computers (both laptop and desktop) on a daily basis and sometimes while in a Canvas class. I am an instructor at Navarro College - Texas .   I have HughesNet satellite Internet service.  No other websites are giving this problem.

Need help.  College IT didn't know what exactly is going on - said possible https issues but not having trouble with any other websites with https.  I teach totally online from my home.  

10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @margaret_mclain ...

Without being able to see your computer, this may be a bit difficult to troubleshoot here in the Canvas Community.  One of the first things I would try is clearing your temp files/history in your browser.  Also, you didn't specify this, but what browser are you using?  If you are using either Internet Explorer or the new Edge browser that is included with Windows 10, try using either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.  You'll have a better browsing experience with either of those browsers.  If you're already using Chrome or Firefox, then I would recommend that you reach out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to see if they might be able to help troubleshoot any issues (they may have you change a setting on your computer, for example).  You can access their help options by clicking on the "Help" icon on the left side of your Canvas environment.  Please let us know the outcome of that conversation if you go that route.  Thanks Margaret, and good luck!

I use Google Chrome. I did the clean up of the disk in the areas you suggested hoping that would resolve the issue. No such luck. I will reboot shortly. I am wondering if there is something with my Internet Satellite system (HughesNet) that needs to be done by Navarro College. I remember in years past something like that happened. I didn't want to spend the time with Hughes Net but it looks like that will be my next step.

Have a blessed day,

Margaret McLain

Government instructor

My Internet provider said my system was fully operational. So it's not on their end.

Have a blessed day,

Margaret McLain

Government instructor

What about reaching out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk?  Have you tried them yet?

Yes, I have. Said it was my computer and to seek out a technician. Doesn't make sense because I can get logged in some and it is the ONLY website with issues. Sounds like that isn't my computerS.

Have a blessed day,

Margaret McLain

Government instructor

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Have you taken your laptop somewhere else with a wifi connection? Like the public library, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc? If not, then try going somewhere like this and getting on Canvas using a different Internet provider. 

Another way to check this... Do you have a smart phone? Does it have a non wifi internet connection (so through the phone company provider like Verizon or AT&T)? If so, then try to access Canvas from your phone with the wifi off. You could also try creating a hotspot with your phone for your laptop. 

Hope some of this troubleshooting helps!

dwillmore
Learner II

@margaret_mclain ‌,

My issues are probably not the same issues that you face but do involve a satellite IP.   Satellite IP is not the same as telco, cable, or even Cellular providers.   There are strange things at work to make the networking successful, most of which I only understand at a very basic level.   I have had three problems over the past four years that I could not resolve that all involved satellite providers.  If I remember correctly, my issues had to do with submissions.   None of the users were capable of helping me troubleshoot properly and I found an alternative for the users to complete their work.   So, I did not follow up on the issues.

Do you have the Hughes Net access yourself?   Are you able to work with the routers, switches, and modem?   If you do, I would not mind working with you on this issue.    I think there is a networking issue specific to this type of provider that is creating problems for the Canvas users.  Let me know if you would like to work on this.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@margaret_mclain ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

No, I had to upgraded my Hughes Net. Now it's costing me $175.00 per month instead of $99.00. Canvas was and is the only website that wouldn't work with my other Gen 4 system of Hughes New. That's not right but I don't have a choice.

Have a blessed day,

Margaret McLain

Government instructor

<http://www.navarrocollege.edu/>

"Bad attitude is like a flat tire, you're not going to get anywhere until you change it." Author unknown