cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Reclaiming licenses

Jump to solution

Hello All

I understand that licenses become active when a student logs in, my questions are:

• are the licenses concurrent?
  • how do we reclaim licenses from inactive users
  • how do we see our license count rather than asking the CSM every time?
  • is the license count a hard limit or is there a grace period if it is exceeded?

Appreciate any feedback

Paul.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

paul.beal@don.ac.uk, greetings! It's my experience that... well, to be honest, I've never even paid attention to how many users we have using Canvas at any given time and we just leave students in the system and don't ever truly delete them (and we've been using Canvas since 2012). 

Granted, this is my personal experience, so to be safe, I'd ask these questions to your CSM. They would be the one would could tell you for sure based on your specific contract. 

Kona

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

paul.beal@don.ac.uk, greetings! It's my experience that... well, to be honest, I've never even paid attention to how many users we have using Canvas at any given time and we just leave students in the system and don't ever truly delete them (and we've been using Canvas since 2012). 

Granted, this is my personal experience, so to be safe, I'd ask these questions to your CSM. They would be the one would could tell you for sure based on your specific contract. 

Kona

View solution in original post

Learner II

To piggy back off of Kona, We also leave students in canvas and have never deleted any since we started using it in 2012 as well. We do have state/school retention policies that gives us a time frame in which we could scrub the accounts. But many schools use a registration system that when a student enrolls into a college it creates an account. it may be best practice to just leave them in canvas in case they come back for more classes in the future. My question would be does it matter how many users you have in canvas? Is your contract dependent on that or is it by data size? Maybe talking to your CSM about this would be helpful. If you go by data size I would recommend using quotas for shells or checking with your state/schools retention policy and seeing about deleting old term shells.  

As of now you can only make a user inactive in a course an not canvas account level.