cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Recommendation of foreign language texts that are well integrated?

It's time for us to start making a decision on textbooks for next school year and we would like to find a publisher/books that integrate well with Canvas.  In particular, being able to add audio and video, lessons, question banks, etc easily.

Do any other schools do this and have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@bcrook ​, since your prompt is unlikely to elicit a single "correct answer," I've changed the format to a discussion. I've also shared it with the Español​ group and with  @cwendt ​ who teaches Spanish and is very active in the Community.

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you Stefanie!

cwendt
Community Member

Hi,  @bcrook ​.

We use Glencoe's Así Se Dice and have opted not to migrate content into Canvas (we just use their eBook) and use Canvas for ancillary activities and testing. Basically, Canvas pulls everything together for us.

We do use Glencoe's tests and, via ExamView, import them into Canvas. Does this work? Yes, but not seamlessly. Here's why I can't give the process an A+:

1. At the onset, it's tough to remember the steps for importing from Examview into Canvas and if you don't do it often, it's easy to forget. If there is a way to do this other than ExamView, I don't know what it is.

2. Foreign characters do not transfer over, at least from Examview—they get replaced by a dash. Before the students do the tests, you have to go in and hand correct all of the write-ins that have tildes, accented characters, etc. In order to know what got fouled up, you'd have to first take each assessment (which we would do anyway, but still….), since the word niño will come out as ni-o.

3. We have also had it where two-word answers get a dash inserted between them. Therefore, if the answer was los gatos and the student wrote it correctly, it would be marked wrong since in Canvas, the answer would have ended up being los-gatos.

(Please note that all of this is not an issue with Glencoe, but rather how material from ExamView translates as it goes into Canvas . . . and other textbook companies point their users to ExamView, as well. It’s only an issue if your faculty relies heavily on fill-ins; with essay-type questions and multiple choice, things work better.)

Finally, are you truly wanting to import large quantities of textbook material into Canvas? Or are you planning to use Canvas as a central platform, perhaps including links for specific e-book pages?

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you for your insight Constancia!  This was very good information.   We are currently using books through Vistas, which requires teachers/ students to access through VHL.  They offer no integration with any LMS because they want you using their VHL site.   I'm hoping for, at a minimum, single-sign on integration.  Preferrably a situation where we can easily import recordings, worksheets exercises, tests (or even just question banks), etc into Canvas.   This is the first time our school is wishing to move away from Vista and find a new publisher.

cwendt
Community Member

@bcrook ​, question banks are generally importable. Recordings are, too, and including that and video might be as simple as placing a link. Printable worksheets can be uploaded as a file . . . but I am not sure if they could be translated into clickable worksheets or with fields you could type in.

Therefore, I think that the best course of action would be to simply ask the rep. However, caveat emptorI would highly suggest having them SHOW you the integration of these materials in person so that you can see first hand if the process is streamlined or complicated . . . or if it's even possible. If they can't answer your questions on this, don't sign until you've been shown what you want to see.