cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer III

Redirect Tool & BluePrints

Is it possible to use the Redirect Tool in courses with a BluePrint applied? 

This is our use case: We have custom pages that we would like each instructor to use in their course. These pages will have their instructor information, course schedule, etc. so the pages will be unique to each course. We would like these pages to show up in the Course Navigation.

Problem: We tried adding the page to a BluePrint and using the Redirect Tool to add them to the Course Navigation. We ran into issues with using the Redirect Tool because the tool uses a static URL; in each of the synced courses, the Course Navigation link tried to take the users to the BluePrint course instead of the page within the synced course.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully added custom links to Course Navigation of BluePrint courses like this?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

kmallen@butler.edu, greetings! I’ve shared this question with one of our Blueprint experts in the Community and hopefully they’ll get a chance to respond.  

Kona

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, kmallen@butler.edu...

I'm reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought I'd check in with you because I noticed that we've not heard back from you since you first posted your question on May 28, 2019.  It seems that you may have stumped the Community with your question.  Have you been able to find any solutions on your own since first posting your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from Community members?  I see that kona@richland.edu‌ had tried reaching out to someone (I think kblack@dom.edu‌?), but I'm not sure if he's seen this question or would have any insights for you (but I'm tagging him just in case).  If you could please come back to this topic to provide an update for us, that would be great.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in six months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for the same amount of time.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Kristen.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thanks for the tag, chofer@morainepark.edu‌.  It's possible Kona reached out to me...I honestly do not remember now! I have not tried using the Redirect Tool with blueprints, and what kmallen@butler.edu describes makes sense from my understanding of how that tool works.  Kristen, did you ever try submitting this to Canvas Support?  The Redirect Tool is an Instructure product judging from the information in the Apps Center, so I suppose it's something that they would need to add to their "to do" list to get this to work with Blueprint courses.  I suppose the only other work-around possible is adding a link to page within the blueprint master class, though that obviously does not have the same visual impact and ease of use as the tool itself.

Highlighted

Hi chofer@morainepark.edu,

T‌hanks for following up on this! We haven't had any success in this, and at this point we don't think it's possible. We were trying to include a resource page for our supported academic technologies (e.g. Panopto, Zoom, etc.) and include this page in the Course Nav; however, the link always linked back to the original BluePrint page.

The Redirect Tool doesn't seem to be dynamic; when it is initially setup, we have to put in a static URL to setup the tool. When the BluePrint is applied to a course, the BluePrint pages in the course have new and unique ID's. The Redirect Tool does not update to these new ID's (in the URL) and therefore still links back to the BluePrint course where it was setup. (Our faculty and students then see an "access denied" message since they are not enrolled in the BluePrint course and don't have access to that page.)

We ended up building a module with our help resources and saving it to the Canvas Commons for faculty to pull into their courses. We're anticipating less use since it's an extra step for our faculty and most are still unfamiliar with the Commons, but it was the best solution we could find. If anything changes with the Redirect Tool to have better compatibility with BluePrints, we would definitely be interested in exploring this again!

Labels