cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Redirect Tool (External App/LTI)

Jump to solution

In the past I have used the Redirect Tool (available in the list of LTI tools) to add a navigation tab in a course to load an external website (e.g. a google form) within the Canvas course window.  Now I am having difficulty getting this to work in the same way.

I know you can't load a non-https site inside the Canvas course window, but if the site I'm trying to load is https can anyone help me understand where I'm going wrong? 

Is anyone else having problems using the Redirect tool to create custom navigation options?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

To build off what scottd@instructure.com​ said and the guide he shared, here is how you can do it with a module item and the Redirect LTI as you mentioned.

Module Item: External URL

Don't forget to add the "s" to "http"

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.51.20 AM.png

and it will look like this:

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.51.31 AM.png

Redirect LTI

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 12.08.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 12.10.12 PM.png

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I love the Redirect tool, but it has been hit-or-miss for a long time. I know some websites are designed not to open inside another frame, for security reasons, so you might be running into that (I can't recall now which site I was trying that clued me in to that problem). Does nothing happen (i.e. blank screen), or do you get an error message of some sort?

Highlighted

Hi Tracey,

I've tried installing the app through the app center inside my Canvas course (url configuration), and also via the manual configuration option and both times I see a blank screen.  I'm not even sure that it makes a difference which configuration method you use.

The link I would like to load from the navigation bar in this case is the Canvas Student Guide (Canvas Student Guide )

When the url is not https I see the message to open link in a new tab:

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 2.08.41 PM.png

If I try to load the external url via the option inside of modules I get this error message:

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 2.07.15 PM.png

Highlighted

Ah. The Canvas guides are notorious for not displaying inside of Canvas. I remember a discussion in the old community, but I can't find it in the new community, so I can't say exactly why they won't work. I thought it was maybe the issue I mentioned - that the old community site had that security lockdown to disable display inside a frame. But that would mean that Jive also has that. I wonder if scottd@instructure.com​ knows...

If it helps, it's not just you, it doesn't work for me either Smiley Sad

Highlighted

That does help actually.  I was starting to think I was loosing my mind....  Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hello lane.worrall@msdk12.net​ and tdelillo@alamo.edu​,

This past May we launched a new community platform which has generally been well received.  One thing that hasn't been good is that we haven't found a way to make documents in the new platform (Jive) embeddable.  That is the main reason we have chosen to keep the old guides site accessible at Canvas Guides.

If you haven't already, you might want to also read How do I embed a lesson inside a Canvas course? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guides

Hope that helps!

Highlighted

Ooh, that "How do I embed" guide rocks! And then, if you wanted to, you could copy the page link and plug IT into the Redirect Tool to add it to the course navigation. Thanks, scottd@instructure.com​!

Highlighted

To build off what scottd@instructure.com​ said and the guide he shared, here is how you can do it with a module item and the Redirect LTI as you mentioned.

Module Item: External URL

Don't forget to add the "s" to "http"

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.51.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.51.31 AM.png

Redirect LTI

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 12.08.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 12.10.12 PM.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Awesome!  Thanks everyone for all your help!

Highlighted

awilliams​,

There was a similar question that popped up today, but the person wanted to limit the Navigation Link to teachers and not students. Canvas supports setting course_navigation[visibility]=admins in the API call, but I couldn't see where the Redirect Tool allowed you to specify the visibility and defaults to public. That said, I've never used the Redirect Tool before trying to answer that question and so I'm probably missing a great deal.

I provided an answer that allows you to specify the visibility using the API calls, but if you know of a way to do it from within the Redirect Tool (because your post definitely illustrates you've used it), could you pop over there and provide a better answer.

Thanks.

Labels