cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Release dates for group "sign ups"

I need to do sign ups for group activities during a course. I've gone to the People tab and created the appropriate groups that participants can sign up for. By sign up I mean they can choose which group they can join. I need to limit these sign ups in regards to time. What I mean is that I need to create a window of time that participants are able to sign up/join these groups, so a specific start and stop time. I've looked through Canvas and tried to look it up online but I haven't found any help so I thought I would try here.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello ashtor@uw.edu‌...

In my own testing of my sandbox course, I didn't really find anything available within the user interface to block out a certain amount of time that people could sign up for a group that you've created via the "People" tab.  The only thing I could come up with was that you could go to the "People" tab, click on the cog (Settings) wheel next to a student's name, choose "User Details", and then the "Access Report" button.  You'd be looking for a new row for "Course People", and it would show you the last time viewed for that student.  Yet, it wouldn't tell you that someone actually signed up for a group...only that the student, in some way, accessed the "People" page.

I just thought of a different way you could do this, however, as a work-around.  What do you think about this?

1. Consider hiding the "People" tab from your students so that you can only see it.  How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links? 
  2. Create a new Assignment that doesn't have any submission associated with it.
  3. In the body of the assignment, create a link to the "People" area of your course.  (You might also want to include some directions on what you want your students to do to sign up.)  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10210-415241444  (Using this Guide, in the Content Selector within the "Links" tab, you would choose "Course Navigation" >> "People".)
  4. Set the access dates/time for the assignment to whatever you want.

The assignment would only be open from the dates/times that you specified, and the "People" area would technically be only available to go to that group sign-up (the reason for considering #1 above) during that time.

I tried this out in my own sandbox course with a dummy student, and it worked perfectly, so you might want to give it a try, too.  I hope this helps, Ryan!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

ashtor@uw.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community! Does your school use Scheduler? If so, you can create sign-up slots on the course calendar for blocks of time and limit each slot to a set number of participants. Check out https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10719-6795261285?sr=search&searchId=4f633d68-292c-4320-b442...‌ If this isn't yet available to you, reach out to your Canvas Admin to see if it's something that can be turned on.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, ashtor@uw.edu...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community on July 10th.  So, I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had an opportunity to review the replies that you received from me and stefaniesanders‌?  If so, did either of our responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your original question?  If you feel that one of our responses did answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking some assistance from members of the Community, please post a message below so that we can help you out.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for about two months.  This won't keep you or others from posting additional questions/comments, though.  I hope that's alright with you, Ryan.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels