cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhelbock
Community Member

Rendering/Functionality Problems with Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan?

Jump to solution

An instructor is reporting that he cannot see the pencil edit icon when attempting to modify a quiz question (see screen cap image, below). He is using the newly available OS version 10.11 called El Capitan. He has tried the following browsers:

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.101

Safari Version 9.0

Firefox 38.0.5

and

Firefox 41.0.1

Any suggestions other than restoring his previous OS version?

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 10.46.46 AM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rhelbock
Community Member

As it turns out, this was a problem on our end where a colleague made changes to the CSS to remove the edit link for user avatars and the change also ended up removing the edit quiz question link. Canvas support was kind enough to point this out to us. Now the CSS edit only removes the edit link we wanted to remove.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rhelbock , if you haven't already, definitely report this to Canvas Support. Otherwise does the Instructor have a different computer/laptop they could use? Sorry I can't be more help.

kenneth_larsen
Surveyor

I am also running El Capitan (Version 10.11) and it is working just fine for me. I checked both the original/current UI and the new UI in:

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.101

Safari Version 9.0

Firefox 40.0.3

and

Firefox 41.0.1

I am a teacher in the course but I am also an admin so I masqueraded as another user that is just a teacher and was still able to see the edit in both versions of the UI for the above mentioned browsers.

kenneth_larsen
Surveyor

Is the course currently open and running? If the course is for a previous semester and has been closed for awhile, that might have an impact on being able to edit.

The problem exists in any current course and appears to be more widespread than originally thought. I received another report from another faculty member this morning who is also unable to see the quiz question edit icon. It has been determined since I first reported the problem that this is not an El Capitan issue and it's looking more like a systemic account-level issue but I don't know. A support ticket was submitted last week and I've updated the ticket information with everything that's come to light since. On my Windows 7 box, only IE 11 displays the quiz question edit icon (in any class). Firefox and Chrome (multiple versions of each) only display the quiz question delete icon. Thank you for your reply.

I can't imagine that the delete icon would show and not an edit icon if the course was concluded.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rhelbock ​, are your faculty still experiencing this issue? Did you get it working again?

rhelbock
Community Member

As it turns out, this was a problem on our end where a colleague made changes to the CSS to remove the edit link for user avatars and the change also ended up removing the edit quiz question link. Canvas support was kind enough to point this out to us. Now the CSS edit only removes the edit link we wanted to remove.

View solution in original post