cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgiraud
Community Member

Reordering Modules

I am annoyed by having to drag and drop my newly created modules to the top of the modules list. I would like the ability to opt for ascending or descending order of modules with an easy click. As the course is progressing, I want the newest module at hte top of the list (avoid the tedious scrolling). At the end of the year, I want to be able to reorder them into a chronology for easy review for students and clean export to Commons.

If you agree, cast a vote for options with the order of modules:

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

cgiraud​, have you tried clicking the gear icon for a Module and using the "Move to" tool? It makes it quick and easy to move a Module before or after any other Module in your course. I use it all the time instead of dragging and dropping because I have so many Modules and it's a lot quicker and easier to just select where I want the Module to get moved to. If you read through this guide, it discusses how to use this feature towards the bottom - How do I reorder Modules?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

cgiraud, since your initial prompt is not a "how-to" question per se but is intended to promote a specific feature request, I've changed the format to a discussion. We welcome Community members' enthusiasm about feature ideas, but hope that you will use the "Status Update" feature to do so rather than posting such promotions in the Find Answers​ area. You can find more information about how to update your status in Updating Your Status in the Community​.

And the easy solution  @kona ​ provided on how to move newly-created modules is one I use as well. Smiley Happy

cgiraud
Community Member

Thanks, Stefanie. Was hoping it might garner some votes. Feeling frustrated by how many great ideas I see dying in the archive gradeyard because no one noticed them.

Kona's solution is better than dragging and dropping, for sure. Still I like the idea of being able to choose how I want modules to default order themselves. Would avoid the extra step.

I still have not found a way to move or reorder multiple modules quickly in a fairly sizeable course.  Currently, it is an onerous, time-consuming task to move each module individually with the "easy solution," and almost impossible with dragging and dropping.  

Please advise if I have missed some updated method of "batch" movement.

Thanks.

gnoack
Navigator

None that I am aware of, just a couple tips though. 

If you collapse the modules you will only see the module title, so you can view more modules at a time on your screen. I find it makes it easier to drag and drop, if that is your preferred way to move modules. 

You can change the zoom on your browser to zoom out, you'll see even more.  Using the shortcuts Control+Shift and the addition key to zoom in, or the minus key to zoom out makes it super easy to do. 

I know it sounds like a hassle, but it's just the tricks of the trade. No system is going to be perfect. 

melissad_miller
Surveyor

Thanks.  I have tried those -- great minds . . . .  🙂 The courses get so clunky and there is so much click and wait time, even when you get into a routine.  I even tried doing it on a new, fast gaming pc thinking it would be better than my work laptop.  It might have been a tad faster, but still -- click on 3 dots, click move module, click drop down, click at the bottom, click move, wait, wait some more, click home to go way back up to the top of screen, repeat . . . .

begneiss
Surveyor

Is there a way to keep the module collapsed? When I go back into the course, it's always expanded again. I wouldn't mind the changing order of my weekly modules so much if canvas could preserve the state of open or closed (especially in my sandbox who no one else accesses)

gnoack
Navigator

Hi @begneiss

I just tested the collapsed modules and I'm not experiencing the same functionality.  In fact, when I switched browsers the same modules were still open or collapsed.   Perhaps you need to update your browser, or perhaps you have a security setting that is preventing this information from being saved.