Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_hull
Community Member

Replicating Moodle's Book Tool in Canvas

Jump to solution

Hi 

I am trying to replicate a similar feature on Canvas to the "book" tool in Moodle. Principally I would like to add chapters or sections to the "Pages" tool and have quick navigation for students to access different sections or elements within that section.

Some of our proposed courses starting in September will have such a large amount of content, the normal method of using the "Modules" tool will be ineffective. Manually adding buttons as a form of navigation in "Pages" will be too labour intensive.

Does anyone know a way of achieving this either using existing Canvas features or through an LTI extension?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @james_hull 

I am sorry that I missed your original inquiry. There are fee-based tools that integrate with Canvas that you might be interested in, if your budget permits,.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there,  @james_hull  and Welcome to the Canvas Community! I'm a tad biased, but I think you've found a great spot of international Canvas users! Smiley Happy

I'll admit, as I started reading your message I immediately thought "MODULES!"...but alas, you say that won't work for your use case! So, I'm going to share this with a couple groups for you in an effort to get some extra eyes on this topic. I'm going to share this with Higher Education‌, Canvas Admins‌, and LMS Migration Strategies‌. The last group is for those who have questions as they are transitioning from their old LMS into Canvas (hopefully there are some previous Moodle users in there!).

You won't need to join these groups if you don't wish to, as the conversation will still continue in this space. Although you may want to as they're all great spaces to be a part of!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@james_hull ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @james_hull 

I am sorry that I missed your original inquiry. There are fee-based tools that integrate with Canvas that you might be interested in, if your budget permits,.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Thank you Kelley

From reviewing the options a few months ago, we had decided to use Atomic Curriculum Tools. Good to see others would recommend a similar solution.

Thanks again

James

@james_hull 

Atomic Jolt is a great company, with a nice suite of tools that work well in Canvas. They have been a preferred Canvas Partner since................ well, since the beginning almost. I cannot tell you how many free water bottles I have gotten from them over the years ;-). Which is really beside the point. I have used several of their products, and like them.

Kelley

I learned about Atomic Jolt from the discussion about global search. I am really bummed out that global search is not going to happen despite the Khaki commitment... but at least Atomic Jolt is out there for people who can afford the service. I was really impressed by their website, even though I doubt my school would be making that additional investment. 

Plus I am pleased to say that my school DOES offer Reclaim Hosting / Domain of One's Own, so that faculty, and students too, can do their content on the real Internet, with great content management tools in their own domain; we don't have to rely on Canvas for course content. 

Reclaim Hosting | Domain of One’s Own 

That's how I am able to get my own URLs to point to my Canvas stuff: InstCon.LauraGibbs.net for example. 🙂

miguel_romero
Community Member

What I did in one of my test course after exporting and importing the content into Canvas was create a Module for that "Book" separate the chapters into pages all while in the same module. After doing this when clicking on the summary or introductory page of the Book/Module I can navigate freely with "Previous" and "Next" to each page/chapter. One work around for you to add sections or elements with in that section is to add a link to another page with in the page of the book/module and I have found this article helpful: How do I link to other Canvas pages in a course?