cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Replying to canvas conversations form a personal email.

If I send an email through canvas conversations and the individual reads his or her email via his or her personal email can that person respond to the email or do they have to respond in canvas. I am using the free version of canvas.

Thank you.

3 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

mkiener@maryville.edu, greetings! The beauty of Canvas is that the person who receives your message from Canvas in their email can respond directly from their email and it will go back into Canvas and show up in your Inbox and your email as well. The only thing this doesn’t work with is attachments. If you want to reply with an attachment you have to go back into Canvas to reply. 

Hope this helps! Kona

Community Member

Thank you Kona,

When I try to return a conversation from my personal email I get an error message. Do you know if a setting needs to be changed?

Mike

Sent from my iPad

Hello there, mkiener@maryville.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since your last response on January 11, 2019.  Were you ever able to get the issue with responding via your personal e-mail address resolved?  If so, what was the resolution to this problem?  If not, have you tried reaching out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to see if they might be able to help troubleshoot this issue with you?

How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?

Also, do you feel that the response from kona@richland.edu has helped to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to mark her answer as "Correct".  However, if you still have questions that Community members might be able to help answer, please come back to this topic to post an update for us.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not had any new activity in this topic for about five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this subject matter.  I hope that's alright with you.

Finally, in your original question, you referred to the word "email".  Canvas actually does not have e-mail, and I've provided a more detailed explanation about this in this thread: Sending email to students.  I hope that explanation will be of help to you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, Mike.