cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Resizing a comment box leaves submit button behind

I wanted to post my observation here first instead of in the ideas area.  In order to easily enter grades manually for an assignment, I reduce the width of my browser window so that only one column of grades is visible.  If I want to add comments for a student and see all of the comment as I write it, I have to resize the comment box to fit in the visible space.  Resizing works great, but the submit button stays in the lower right corner of the original box (and off the visible browser pane).  Therefore to submit I have to scroll to the right to get to the submit button.  it would be nice if the submit button would move with the comment box.

I don't really consider this an idea rather a bug or quirk with Canvas.  I could write it up as a feature request, but it does not seem to be of that level.

Ron

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bowmanr@uah.edu​, In my attempt to recreate the issue you're experiencing I realized that I'm not sure exactly what you're doing. I think I understand, but is there any way you could make a quick video (maybe using Jing or Screencast-o-matic) showing what you're doing/experiencing? Or, even a screenshot? I want to make sure I'm trying exactly what you're doing!

Thanks!

Highlighted

kona@richland.edu

Here is a series of screen shots

Original gradebook view

45840_pastedImage_0.png

original view of grading box

45841_pastedImage_1.png

reduced browser window

45842_pastedImage_2.png

grading box with comment box reduced

45843_pastedImage_3.png

The submit comment button is off to the right and you have to scroll over to it.

the reason I am doing this is when you get more than 10 to 15 assignments, you can only scroll them over so far before they stop - usually not next to a students name.  I do a lot of in class paper quizzes that I have to manually enter grades.  so I like the grade column next to the name to make sure that the grade I am entering is going to the correct student.  Sometimes I need to make comments and I would prefer to not have to scroll over to post the comments.  This actually reminded me of another issue that I need to post in the ideas area.

I hope this helps

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ah, thank you! That makes a lot more sense and you're correct that it is troublesome to have the submit button not visible. Yet, I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it would count as a feature idea. Hmmm...

Just curious,(and I posted this on your other question as well) but is there a reason you don't use speedgrader for grading? Even the manual assignments? It seems like number of clicks wise it would be just as efficient to add a grade, comments, click one button to submit, and then click to the next student in speedgrader. I'll be honest though that I don't do a lot of grade entry directly through the gradebook, so I'm not sure.

Highlighted

Kona -

Speed grader is an option, but the one area I use manual grade entering with comments, it is more of a shotgun approach to entering grades.  Therefore, it is easier to go find the students in the grade book as I grade their work.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello bowmanr@uah.edu...

I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for quite some time, and so I wanted to check in with you.  In reviewing your question and replies, it looks like kona@richland.edu‌ has been able to provide you with some good help here.  Did any of her responses ultimately help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to mark one of those as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this topic and post a message below for the Community so that we can continue to assist you.  For now, since it's been quite a while without any new activity, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Ron.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!