Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nlatimer
Adventurer

Restrict Folder?

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I did some looking around, but I feel like I am missing something. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to restrict access to a file FOLDER in Canvas. The articles I read talked about this in relation to usage rights, but I am simply looking to have a folder of files that is accessible to only certain students in a class. Is there a way to do this, or can restrictions only be set on a file by file basis?

I also was trying to figure out where "usage rights" gets enabled for a course, as I don't see it as a feature option at the account or course level. But - it isn't directly relevant (at least, I don't think it is) to what I am trying to do here.

As an aside, one of the biggest things I have encountered in our K-12 District is teachers who want to restrict access to course materials to only a subset of students or a particular section of a course (for example, Period 3). In this particular case, we need to set aside a folder of files with notes for our special education students, which will not be accessible to the other students in the class.

Thank you!

Nancy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobDitto
Navigator

Usage Rights in course Files pertain to intellectual property and copyright, rather than student access permissions:

How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file?

Your institution's Canvas admins would normally decide whether to allow or require specifying Usage Rights at the course level.  (At our institution, we couldn't make that feature available because it would unpublish newly uploaded files by default -- which our faculty don't want.)

Regarding the K-12 suggestion in nlatimer​'s last paragraph, we use two workarounds for distributing specific files just to a subset of students in a course:

1) Assign students to a group, and then use the group's Files, rather than course Files to post documents only students in that group should see. (The Canvas Community voted in hope of an eventual feature which might automate this workaround:.)

2) Or, if the files relate to an Assignment, use differentiated Assignments to target specific students, sections or groups. Upload the files to the course Files, applying "hidden" restriction, then link these files from the differentiated Assignment description.  For more on this, see:

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

nlatimer​, there is no way to restrict a file or folder by students or subset of students. It's either all students or no students.

RobDitto
Navigator

Usage Rights in course Files pertain to intellectual property and copyright, rather than student access permissions:

How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file?

Your institution's Canvas admins would normally decide whether to allow or require specifying Usage Rights at the course level.  (At our institution, we couldn't make that feature available because it would unpublish newly uploaded files by default -- which our faculty don't want.)

Regarding the K-12 suggestion in nlatimer​'s last paragraph, we use two workarounds for distributing specific files just to a subset of students in a course:

1) Assign students to a group, and then use the group's Files, rather than course Files to post documents only students in that group should see. (The Canvas Community voted in hope of an eventual feature which might automate this workaround:.)

2) Or, if the files relate to an Assignment, use differentiated Assignments to target specific students, sections or groups. Upload the files to the course Files, applying "hidden" restriction, then link these files from the differentiated Assignment description.  For more on this, see:

View solution in original post

Hi  @RobDitto 

Thanks for your reply!  Unfortunately, neither of these workarounds will work for what we are trying to do, which is to put teacher notes in a folder that is only accessible to a subset of students. I had thought about using a group, but from what I have read, group members are able to delete files within a group file storage area:

How do I view group files as a student?

The files that we want to put inside a folder are also not connected to an assignment. What I am trying to do is similar in nature to this post, but with a group of students instead of just one:

As an aside, I know that usage rights are different from restricting access, and discovered that the CSM has to enable the option in order for it to appear at the account settings level:

What feature options are currently available at the account level? 

Not a problem, as it is not something we are currently in need of doing.

Thank you very much for your ideas, and  @kona ​, for your response as well.

Nancy