cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derek_hill
Community Member

Restrict Student Access

Hi All

I'm trying to get some information regarding restricting file access. I understand that there are 3 ways in which access can be restricted. What is meant by files inside will be available with links? How do I obtain the link and share it?

182318_pastedImage_0.png

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@derek_hill ​, "files inside will be available with links" means that if you create a link to the file anywhere else in the course, students will be able to view the file. For example, let's say you place that restriction on a specific file in your Files area. Now, if you're creating a quiz question, and when you are in Edit mode you use the Content Picker on the right side of the screen to insert a link to that file into the quiz question, your students will be able to view the file; they will not, however, see that same file file if they navigate to the Files link in the left navigation (and that's assuming that you have that link enabled in your course navigation). Please let us know if you need additional information about what the various file restrictions mean.

Thanks stefaniesanders

My end goal is to be able to restrict files to certain groups that I've created. I'm currently listed as a Teacher. Will this option allow me to do this? 182320_pastedImage_0.png

@derek_hill , the file restriction options don't include any provisions for restricting specific files to certain groups.

I've never actually done this, but the only way I can think of right now to accomplish this is to restrict the file as described earlier (so that it can only be viewed from a link), create a differentiated assignment that contains the linked file in the instructions, and assign it only to that particular group. The concept of differentiated assignments is described in What do Differentiated Assignments look like in Canvas?

I'm also wondering if someone has uploaded a file or files only to a specific group's group space, so if anyone has experience with this, please share!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

My only thought for how to accomplish this was differentiated assignments as well. To do this you'd need a different assignment for each group, which might be tedious depending on the number of groups you have, but otherwise it would work.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @derek_hill ​...

I wanted to check in with you since you first posted this question in early May.  It looks like both stefaniesanders​ and  @kona ​ have given you some great help here, so I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered" since there haven't been any replies in over a month.  This won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments related to your question.