cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Restricting Gradebook for teachers/instructors?

Is there any way to restrict who can see the gradebook while still allowing them to grade certain assignments?

The basic issue we have is that our courses have multiple graders for certain assignments, but they do not have a need-to-know basis for the entirety of the gradebook or even of the student who's assignment they are grading. There is a privacy regulation that only those instructors who are course directors here have access to the full gradebook. This makes using the Canvas Speedgrader and Assignments very problematic for our school, as grading an assignment seems like an all or nothing option: if you can grade anything, you can see everything.

Am I missing a function or is this something not built into Canvas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there doddj@d.umn.edu. That's an interesting one. I guess every institution runs things differently. 

I had thought that if you are in the course as a teacher then you have full access to the gradebook. However, if you use sections then you could limit who has access to what. How do I limit a user to only interact with other users in the same course section? 

This might help if you are new to sections https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12971-4152719644 

Hope this helps. Or at least helps eliminate possibilities. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

We've experimented with doing that, it would not work to section off the students since the gradebook in its entirety is still visible for those student you are in a section with as a teacher. We're really just trying to have people use the speedgrader in Canvas without being able to see anything other than the assignment they are grading. That does not appear to be possible after I looked at the permissions document from Canvas outlining how the settings work (https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf). We obviously are looking for something specific that was in our old LMS but isn't possible at this time in Canvas, and for most college courses, isn't an issue the same way it is for us.

0 Kudos
Labels