Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
everson_50
Surveyor

Restricting a student's access to a resource

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered.

Suppose that I want to place a particular resource (in this case a particular document) on my course site.  I want most students to have access to the resource right away, but there is one student who has yet to complete a certain offline assessment, and I would prefer she not see this resource until she takes a make-up test.  Is it possible to restrict access to certain resources for particular students?

I hope this makes sense.  

Thank you!

Michelle

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here's another variation on  @kblack ‌ suggestion above that involves restricting the 1 student by a date:

Here are my steps:

1. Create assignment with the resource.
  2. Assign to everyone
  3. Assign to restricted student with an availability date in the way future.
  4. Once the student does what she needs to, come back and remove her restriction and like everyone she'll be able to see it.

Assign to everyone, assign to student later date

On the student side, here's what she'll see:
student view of restricted assignment

I think you could also probably do something with module requirements like put in a grade restriction on the makeup test. Or you could mess around with Mastery Paths as well. But restricting the access with an assignment that doesn't count in the gradebook is an easy way to not mess-up the rest of the class workflow.

Good luck,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @everson_50 ‌ - How many students are there in the class? The reason this is a question is this may depend on just how much effort you want to put into this! There is no single, easy solution to this. 

My thought is this: put the document on the FILES page but make it restricted access, so that only those students with the link can see it. This is covered here:  How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas?  Check the section called Set File Available to Students with Link if this is something you've not done before. If you already hide your FILES area, to begin with, don't worry about this step.

Next, create an Assignment, which in theory you could simply make an ungraded assignment worth 0 points. In the assignment "instructions," simply create link to that document.

Now comes the hard part. Make this assignment a differentiated assignment by adding the student names of everyone except for that one student.  Yes, this will be tedious, but do-able. I tried this on a sample class (though of only 5 students....not 50!) and it worked:

239126_pastedImage_1.png

The student NOT added to the assignment could not see it.

One the student has completed the required assessment, you can then edit the assignment and change it back to Everyone.

How does that sound as a possible solution?

(The other alternative would be dealing with Mastery Paths, but assuming this offline assessment has already been graded and recorded in the Gradebook, when I played around with this scenario it did not work correctly for me...and my hunch is it's because the "master" assignment is one that already had grades recorded for it.)

Thank you, Ken.  I was hoping there might be an easier way, and since I currently have almost 90 students, it sounds like I will need to think about a Plan B.  I appreciate knowing this is an option, however.  

Here's another variation on  @kblack ‌ suggestion above that involves restricting the 1 student by a date:

Here are my steps:

1. Create assignment with the resource.
  2. Assign to everyone
  3. Assign to restricted student with an availability date in the way future.
  4. Once the student does what she needs to, come back and remove her restriction and like everyone she'll be able to see it.

Assign to everyone, assign to student later date

On the student side, here's what she'll see:
student view of restricted assignment

I think you could also probably do something with module requirements like put in a grade restriction on the makeup test. Or you could mess around with Mastery Paths as well. But restricting the access with an assignment that doesn't count in the gradebook is an easy way to not mess-up the rest of the class workflow.

Good luck,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Member

That's brilliant, ishar-uw‌!  Good heavens, that's a much more elegant solution.  Go for it,  @everson_50 ‌.

Thank you, Sharmaine!

Genius, ishar-uw‌!

grmargot57
Community Member

My name is margot garcia, please inform me whether or not I am the one! If so, this indicates I obviously need help trying to access the assignments, activity & quiz.

Please help & please communicate with Ms Snider & question her whether not she can "activate" what ever is needed.

Thank-U!  Margot r. garcia

@grmargot57 ‌, greetings! This sounds like a course specific question, but you've posted it in the global Canvas Community. Unfortunately we don't have access to course specific information and your best bet is to contact your teacher directly. You can do this from Canvas through the Inbox or by clicking on the Help link and Ask your Instructor a question (make sure to pick the right course). Otherwise you should also be able to find your Instructors contact information on your course Syllabus. 

I hooe this helps!