cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Rich Content Editor for inbox

Jump to solution

I am just wondering why there isn't a Rich Content Editor when sending an email from the inbox?!  Or maybe I'm missing something or a setting!

Thanks,

Pat

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi pimmel@nwmissouri.edu​...

You're not missing anything...nor is there any setting that you can turn on/off to allow for the RCE in conversations/inbox.  This is a very popular topic of discussion...so much so that there has been a Feature Idea created about it with a pretty detailed response from Instructure that I would invite you to check out: .  You're still free to comment on that thread as to why it is important to you, though.  Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

You're not missing anything...nor is there any setting that you can turn on/off to allow for the RCE in conversations/inbox.  This is a very popular topic of discussion...so much so that there has been a Feature Idea created about it with a pretty detailed response from Instructure that I would invite you to check out: .  You're still free to comment on that thread as to why it is important to you, though.  Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor

Thanks for your kind response Chris!  The voting for this item looks to have been "archived".  After reading some of the responses from instructure, I understand their point, but it *would* be terribly useful to have this functionality.  I wonder if there is an App that would provide this?!

Thanks again,

Pat

Highlighted

I'm not aware of any kind of app that would allow for a RCE in Conversations/Inbox.  😞

Highlighted

pimmel@nwmissouri.edu, when I first started using Canvas over five years ago now, I was arguably one of the most vocal supporters of an RCE in Conversations, and this was mainly because of the way I was accustomed to using messages in the previous LMS. Since then, I've mellowed and adapted. I hasten to add that I'm not offering the following solution as a workaround, but rather, as a new paradigm I personally adopted that has worked wonderfully for me. Where I used to use Conversations for specific purposes, I now use Announcements for those purposes, because Announcements do provide the full array of RCE tools (so I can format the text, embed images and videos, link to documents, and more). And, because my anecdotal evidence suggests that more students have their Conversations notifications set to "ASAP" than they do for Announcements, I then message my entire class with a link to the new announcement, thereby improving the odds that they'll see it. This has worked really well for me, and has allowed me to use Conversations for quick bursts and private conversations that don't require the RCE.

I'm happy to say that messages do support automatic conversion of URLs into clickable links.

Now, with all that, I still think it would be wonderful to have rudimentary HTML tools in Conversations (i.e. support for simple codes like *bold* and _italic_ or even <strong>bold</strong> <em>italic</em>. Apart from that, I honestly don't miss the RCE in messages.

Have you had a chance to look at Canvas Focus Group: Conversations RCE ? I believe you can request an invitation to that group by clicking on the link and clicking on the button at the top right, and that would be a good place to provide your feedback and use case examples.