Rich Text Editor reduced usability

Jump to solution
whelling
Community Novice

The new Rich Text Editor (formerly known as the Rich Content Editor) is amazingly unusable for editing any page of more than a few lines. Any time I try to edit (using either Chrome or Edge), I get shot back up to the top of the editor window. As soon as I start to edit, I lose the editor window scrollbar and thus cannot see the GUI buttons on top. I need to select text down below and then use the browser's scroll bar to go up and make my choice (such as for a bullet list, etc.). Then I scroll down to make sure my edit looks ok. Time after time after time. The editing process is now a major chore, and I would no longer make pages had I not already begun the process. 

Has the Rich Text Editor not been user tested?

I would, instead, start using .pdf documents and have them display inline on a page had this function not disappeared also in these recent "improvements."

I apologize in advance if I simply missed a procedure to use the Rich Text Editor in an easier way.

1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey, William,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble! Are you using one of the two most recent versions of Edge and Chrome? Make sure they're updated and try again.

If you're still able to reproduce these behaviors, they're probably behaviors that need to be reported to our Canvas Support team. You can do that by going to your Help Menu and clicking the Report a Problem link. (However, your institution may have its own process for reporting support cases, so if you don't see the Report a Problem link, use whatever links have been set by your institution.)

As I'm also not entirely sure about the behavior where you're referring, I am also going to mention a feature request that may be along the lines of your comment: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15868-static-toolbar-for-new-rich-content-editor?sr=inbox&ru=2.... You may want to check that out as well.

Thanks!

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Likes