cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Rich editor not keeping formatting

Jump to solution
I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I tried to search to make sure this question was not already answered, but did not see anything. I am having some issues building Canvas pages as it keeps removing my formatting. I use the rich editor in one of my courses and it works great, but another keeps causing issues. It removes all of my formatting including any spaces I enter. I am attaching a video that shows the issue. Any ideas or assistance is much appreciated.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi sbbacon@sdccd.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I'm not sure if there might be some code at the begging of your page that is causing everything to become unformatted.  Here's something to try...  Open a new browser tab, and go to https://html-cleaner.com/.  After the page loads, paste in your HTML code from Canvas into the code area on the right side of the HTML Cleaner website (removing the code that's currently there).  Then, press the "Clean HTML" button.  Hopefully, the preview of your content (displayed on the left) will remain the same.  (By the way...some websites like this will put in an extra line of HTML code that you may need to remove at the very end...so be on the lookout for that.)  Copy and paste the cleaned up code back into your HTML editor of your Canvas page, and save the page.  Has anything changed?  Please let us know...thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi sbbacon@sdccd.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I'm not sure if there might be some code at the begging of your page that is causing everything to become unformatted.  Here's something to try...  Open a new browser tab, and go to https://html-cleaner.com/.  After the page loads, paste in your HTML code from Canvas into the code area on the right side of the HTML Cleaner website (removing the code that's currently there).  Then, press the "Clean HTML" button.  Hopefully, the preview of your content (displayed on the left) will remain the same.  (By the way...some websites like this will put in an extra line of HTML code that you may need to remove at the very end...so be on the lookout for that.)  Copy and paste the cleaned up code back into your HTML editor of your Canvas page, and save the page.  Has anything changed?  Please let us know...thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you so much Chris! I think it is working. I am still trying to work out the kinks, but it is at least now keeping my formatting. Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. 

Highlighted

You're very welcome, sbbacon@sdccd.edu!  I'm glad it is working out for you.  I only recently found websites like the one I suggested to clean up HTML code...and it's been very useful....especially to help our instructor clean up the code on pages they have built...many times with lots of extra "junk" HTML code that just isn't needed and makes things look a bit more messy when looking at the code.  Thankfully, sites like this strip out a lot of that unneeded code yet keep the pages looking as intended.

Highlighted

Neat trick, chofer@morainepark.edu !

I've got to go check this out.