Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emiliemadsen
Community Member

Roll Attendance Point Change Shifted the Percentages

Jump to solution

Hi,

I went in to change the default point value for the Roll Call Attendance assignment on Canvas. I changed it from 100 to 50 points, but when I did so, it shifted the percentage value so that some students now have 200% for the assignment.  Why did it do this and how do I change it back?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @emiliemadsen  Welcome to the Canvas Community, though I have to say that I'm sorry to welcome you at a time when you are using what is, arguably, the most frustrating tool in Canvas.  While you can in theory change the point value, it should only be done...well, pretty much immediately after you take attendance the very first time.  This is noted in the online guide regarding this:

If you are not using weighted assignment groups and just want to edit the points assigned for Attendance, you can edit the point value in the assignment. However, this adjustment is only recommended if (1) you are never going to change the point value again and (2) you make the adjustment after your first roll call entry.

You might want to get the opinion of Canvas support on what to do next (Help>>Report a Problem).  Sometimes, faculty at my own institution have simply deleted it altogether, re-started it, and things came out okay.  Sometimes.  Most of the time, the problem will just be exacerbated if the above is done.

What I normally recommend to my own faculty is:  a.) learn to live with the 100 point default value and b.) use weighted assignment groups, as that online guide first linked to points out.   The attendance tool does work, but it's something that must be used with TLC while keeping the various warnings that the linked page above makes note of.  Since you are new to the Community, know that you are not alone in these frustrations, many of which are expressed here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1090-attendance-overhaul .

Hope this helps a bit, Emilie...at least insofar as explaining why this happened.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @emiliemadsen  Welcome to the Canvas Community, though I have to say that I'm sorry to welcome you at a time when you are using what is, arguably, the most frustrating tool in Canvas.  While you can in theory change the point value, it should only be done...well, pretty much immediately after you take attendance the very first time.  This is noted in the online guide regarding this:

If you are not using weighted assignment groups and just want to edit the points assigned for Attendance, you can edit the point value in the assignment. However, this adjustment is only recommended if (1) you are never going to change the point value again and (2) you make the adjustment after your first roll call entry.

You might want to get the opinion of Canvas support on what to do next (Help>>Report a Problem).  Sometimes, faculty at my own institution have simply deleted it altogether, re-started it, and things came out okay.  Sometimes.  Most of the time, the problem will just be exacerbated if the above is done.

What I normally recommend to my own faculty is:  a.) learn to live with the 100 point default value and b.) use weighted assignment groups, as that online guide first linked to points out.   The attendance tool does work, but it's something that must be used with TLC while keeping the various warnings that the linked page above makes note of.  Since you are new to the Community, know that you are not alone in these frustrations, many of which are expressed here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1090-attendance-overhaul .

Hope this helps a bit, Emilie...at least insofar as explaining why this happened.

View solution in original post