Roll Call only counting for a few students

Jump to solution
wrights2
Community Member

At first Roll Call was not working at all. It would allow me to take attendance but nothing would show up in the gradebook under the Roll Call Attendance heading. We reset the course and now it shows the attendance for only 2 students. When I click on "more" next to each student in Roll Call is shows me how many days they were absent (as if it saved the information from before the reset) but it does not show up in the gradebook. Any suggestions?

Also, if I mark the whole class under attendance - go into gradebook - and go back to attendance - it clears the entries, as if it's not saving.

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @wrights2 ‌ - Ugh. I hate to sound like a smart aleck, but my suggestion is to contact Canvas Support.  (Help>>Report a Problem, which may get forwarded first to your institution's technical support.) The attendance tool is notoriously finicky.  One big concern is that it did not seem to be working from the very beginning, which is quite unusual. Normally the most pain occurs after any editing of the assignment, as outlined within this article and seen in the numerous warnings throughout.  The (now current) New Gradebook can move things past the Total column sometimes, so I'm wondering if it was just missed somehow the first time, since I don't think I've experienced not seeing the column at all straight out of the box, as it were, unless some editing was involved. 

Also, this not a multi-sectioned course, perhaps, is it? The reason I ask is that each section will appear separately within the tool when taking attendance; you have to switch between sections using a drop-down arrow at the top.  Nevertheless, by default all sections should be appearing in the gradebook, so you should also make sure there is no filtering of the gradebook involved and to clear all filters if there are

But the bottom line after checking everything over again is that you will likely have to contact Canvas and see if they can offer any suggestions on their end.

View solution in original post

0 Likes