Roll Call record import

Jump to solution
eva2
Community Explorer

Hello,

When taking attendance, one of our professors  has marked the students who are present – but did not mark the students who did not attend as absent. The attendance report shows 100% attendance which is not the case.  Is there a quick way to adjust the records retroactively for example -  to download the attendance report, make the necessary changes, and import it again to get a correct attendance record.

Thank you.

Evelina

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @eva2  - Unfortunately not; you really cannot import anything into the Roll Call attendance report. I've had similar situations occur with faculty at my own institution, and basically the best thing you can do is:

• Run the roll call attendance report and download the CSV
  • From there, with a bit of pivot table magic in Excel, you can identity the dates that the instructor did NOT take attendance.  The best you can do, then, is to inform the instructor regarding those dates, and then s/he will have to head back to Roll Call to those dates and fill in the attendance for those dates.

This is not an easy process but the best that can be done under the circumstances.  The other alternative--if the instructor does not want to go through all the various dates and do this--is download the report and then just delete the Roll Call Attendance assignment altogether (AFTER saving the report, obviously!) and have the instructor cobble together another assignment that, essentially, records the grade the student earned for attendance based on the information in the report and that s/he remembers. It would be no-submission assignment, where the instructor just inputs a score.  Needless to say, however, the students would have to realize this replaced the original attendance score they were receiving.

(If you need help with roll call pivot tables, I created a couple of documents in the community that will help with those; 's one with instructions for Excel users, and another with a Google Sheet that you can just copy/paste the information into.)

Hope this helps a bit, Evelina.  But, alas (as you see) Roll Call is not very configurable tool!

View solution in original post