cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsedia
Surveyor

Rollover Canvas Courses?

Our first year using canvas is complete. I know you can export and import courses. But is there an easier way? Many of our teachers will be teaching the same courses in the fall. Is it possible to just "rollover" the course? Are there things that must be considered such as the course ID? How is this done? In an admin panel somewhere?

-Thank you!

-George

4 Replies
tross
Explorer II

Some of that will depend on what your institution does.  You will need to check with your Canvas administrator.  In our institution, teachers get new courses and then can import the material from their old course.  You don't have to export, you can import directly from the Canvas course but you will probably need to check the Checkbox that says Include Concluded Courses.  In the Import Content, select the Copy A Canvas course.  Here is the link to the guides  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10713-67952724501 

muh
Surveyor

Just adding to tross‌'s answer, if you have rosters synced with SIS, then re-use the course would be problematic. Also, for archiving purpose, copy existing canvas course to a new shell would be a better choice.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dsedia ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dsedia ‌

Since you are new to Canvas, I will add a word of caution...............

Yes, there is a way to roll-over courses, BUT DON"T DO IT!

Your courses from last year include student enrollments, and with those enrollments are linked the student submissions and the scores earned for those submissions - YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAMPER WITH THOSE!

Wherever you are located you have federal, state and district laws, rules and regulations governing the maintenance of student performance data.

That being said, the course copy process is incredibly easy, and quick!

I hope this helps,

Agent K