cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Rubric Resizing

Jump to solution

In Speedgrader, is there a way to shrink the size of the rubric? In order to see my entire rubric and the place to leave qualitative remarks, I have to move the rubric screen so far to the left that it shrinks the student submission until it's nearly illegible. Ideally, I'd be able to see both the student submission and the full rubric together. As it is now, the rubric is much bigger than it needs to be for scoring/commenting. Actually, it became worse just today; I assume Canvas made an update to the rubrics, but as a result of the update the rubric scoring is much more unwieldy. 

I've included a screenshot to illustrate the problem:

285646_rubric size.png

Any insight is much appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Well that's troubling. 

Our semester hasn't started yet, so I haven't experienced the new layout, which sounds less than ideal. Hopefully someone else has a better idea or solution.

View solution in original post

37 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

rachelbryson1@weber.edu, the only thing I’ve ever been able to figure out is dragging the middle bar between the rubric and the student’s submission until I find a sweet spot that seems to be ok for both. Not ideal, but it works. 

Kona

Highlighted

Hi kona@richland.edu,

Thanks for your reply. In the past, I've found that to be a workable solution, but in this recent update to rubrics, that "sweet spot" has been removed. To be able to actually read the paper, only the first 2-3 columns of the rubric can be seen. To see the rubric well enough to access the comments/feedback button for each rubric category, the paper is too small. I suppose my point is that Canvas updated the rubrics to make them, perhaps, more visually appealing to the student but less navigable for the instructor. 

Thanks again,
Rachel

Highlighted

Well that's troubling. 

Our semester hasn't started yet, so I haven't experienced the new layout, which sounds less than ideal. Hopefully someone else has a better idea or solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Our instructors are having the same issues with the sizing of the rubrics. Before the update, it wasn't much of an issue, but now we are having it be way too big for instructors to use (easily) on every device. 

Highlighted

Yes, exactly! If I'm on a computer with a large screen, the new rubrics work okay, but on almost any other device, including the laptop I normally use with Canvas, the rubrics have become extremely unwieldy. 

Highlighted
Community Member

We've had several cases come in about this issue. L2 Support said that if your account has the "Non-scoring rubrics" feature option enabled, then rubrics will look gigantic like this.

Unfortunately, that feature option is account-level not course-level so we can't toggle it off for specific courses. I've reached out to my CSM to ask about this frustrating design choice because it forces us to either have huge rubrics that make grading much more difficult or block instructors from using non-scoring rubrics.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Looks like it was not the most well thought of thing. We are getting complaints too.

Highlighted
Community Member

Wow this makes grading cumbersome.  Who changes these things without getting feedback?

Highlighted
Community Member

An instructor just brought this to my attention. I'm filing a bug report, just because.