Rubric W/O Point Value

Jump to solution
SEleahy
Community Member

After speaking with Canvas help, they said what I was asking was NOT available and to come here and make a suggestion. I did that, and then my post was immediately archived without allowing me to further comment. There is no option to create a rubric in canvas without points. I am aware you can hide them. That is not what I am asking. I would like to be able to either import or create a rubric with NO points. 

2 Solutions
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@SEleahy Is this the idea to which you're referring: Rubric w/o Point value - Canvas Community ? As the idea only came in with a title, we responded with instructions on how to remove points from a rubric as described in  How do I use a non-scoring rubric to assess submis... - Canvas Community . The idea is archived, but comments are not closed on it, so you can freely continue to comment there should you choose to do so. 

Canvas does not currently have rubric importing functionality. You can add your support to the long-standing conversation already underway at Allow Importing of Rubrics from csv Format - Canvas Community 

We encourage you to read through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing idea conversation prompts.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @SEleahy ...

I would like to echo what @Stef_retired has said.  Also, even though she has correctly stated that there is no way to import rubrics into Canvas using the "out of the box" functionality, @James has developed a "Canvancement" (Canvas enhancement) that allows you to import rubrics into a Canvas course from an Excel Spreadsheet.  I use this all the time, and it has saved me so much time building rubrics...literally hours and hours of time.  Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet - Canvas Community  Once you have imported a rubric into your course, then you can use the linked Guide that Stefanie gave you to change the rubric so that it doesn't show points.  For example, if you had a rubric that had values of "Met" and "Not Met", you could initially assign 1 point to "Met" and 0 points to "Not Met", and then you can change the settings on the rubric so that it does not show the values of 1 and 0.  You might also want to change the "Display Grade as" drop-down for the assignment to "Complete/Incomplete" instead of "Points".

I hope this extra bit of information will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post